Using a propane burner indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
I started brewing a little over 6 months ago and have enjoyed it ever since. I just switched to using an outdoor propane burner and I will never boil indoors again. I am unfortunately moving away to an apartment without a balcony and need to find a way to brew. Is it safe to use a turky fryer indoors with 2 large wondows open? Ive read up on it but I am unsure if it is safe at all.

any facts at all would be helpfull.

It CAN be done safely, but unless you really know what you're doing it can be fatal.

1.Two large windows will not do it. Propane gas is heavier than air. If your tank leaks it will pool in the room beneath the windows until it hits an ignition source, your burner.

2. Ditto Carbon Monoxide. Fido laying on the floor might never get up again and if you lie down on the couch you may join him.

3. Your insurance is gone.

4. A fair bit of heat is directed down to the floor. You can ignite wood or carpet flooring very easily.

5. If the apartment owner knows you're doing it, you'll likely be thrown out and/or charged with public endangerment, unsafe operation of a pressure vessel, or some other equally impressive sounding crime.

6. What a mess. This place have carpets?

You really shouldn't do it in a place you don't own and where other people live. You need to exchange the air in the room you're in and ensure it has a negative pressure so gasses don't travel under doors, etc. You can be held criminally responsible if something goes wrong and someone gets hurt. Stick to stove top partial mashes until you can find a brew buddy with his own house.

Some people brew in their basements, but with LOTS of ventilation. I'd much prefer the relative safety of brewing in my garage with the door open or fully outdoors. I'd be leery of doing it in my house just due to having that much heat around combustable stuff, plus it making the house even warmer in the summer months. If you really wanted to do it indoors, I guess you could keep at CO detector nearby to keep tabs on the situation. But I wouldn't do it.

Unless you understand terms like plenum, primary combustion air, make-up air and negative pressure, I'd strongly advise against doing it indoors.

I brew inside exclusively. I crack the kitchen window and turn on the vent hood over the stove.

BierMuncher brews in his basement, and uses a fan to exhaust.

I think it's one of those things....Not as big of a deal as people make of it, but if you do screw it up, you'll die.

Boil overs would be the biggest concern.

Get some fresh air forced in...bad air forced out...and keep flammables away.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been discussed ad nauseum. A search for "indoor" or "indoors" will probably turn up a handful of helpful threads. The general consensus is, don't do it...and do as I say, not as I do. But, if you decide to do it, set up a good ventilation system - preferably in the form of an exhaust hood and a separate fresh air source.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. A search for "indoor" or "indoors" will probably turn up a handful of helpful threads. The general consensus is, don't do it...and do as I say, not as I do. But, if you decide to do it, set up a good ventilation system - preferably in the form of an exhaust hood and a separate fresh air source.

That's what I meant to say :D

Thanks everyone. I didnt expect so many replies in such a short amount of time. I guess the best option is to play it safe and brew in a parking lot or not at all.

Again, thanks a bunch.

Look into electric boiling. It's my current project as no more propane for me either.

Back