Flip top bottles-can you reseal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I couldn't really figure out how to title this thread, but if you have flip-top bottles, Grolsch style, and you open a beer, but then recap it, how long will it stay good? My instinct says not long, but I can't think why not.

I should think it will last just fine, maybe loss a little CO2, but not much else. The CO2 that comes out when you open it will purge the head space of air and infection shouldn't be any real trick unless you are drooling in it.

Before my first kegging attempt last night, I primarily used the flip-top bottles. I found that unless you're going to polish the remaining beer in the next 24 hours, you might as well enjoy the entire bottle at once. You lose carbonation very quickly in my experience. Of course, that all has to do with exactly how much beer you have remaining in the bottle, etc. Since the grolsch style holds approx 3 beers, I usually give the lil' lady a glass and I enjoy 2. Problem solved.

Ditto,the Grolsch bottles I have are 16 oz and IMHO that is one beer.
As a matter of fact I want to know who ever started this 12 oz thing? I really believe a beer should be a pint.

Just finished a liter flipper. that is about 3 beers. I prefer to polish it off when I open it, but I have saved some for the next day. If there is more than 1/2 left, it isn't bad. Less than 1/2, better to just polish it off.

homebrewer_99 said:
What do you drink out of where a grolsch is 3 beers? A sampler? I live in a 1/2 liter world!:drunk:

That is an excellent point. My grolsch bottles are liter bottles and given my drothers would usually consist of one continuous "glass" of beer. However, as I said, the wife enjoys a portion as well. That's not all bad, though as it eliminates any complaints when I put aside time to brew the next batch.

1 liter bottles from Grolsch?? Cool I've never seen one. At least that I remember. ( getting long in the tooth here).
But that does make a difference my apologies. I was wondering how you would split a 16 oz bottle three ways and still call it a glass. But I have strayed form the original question.
A Flip top bottle ( known in europe by the GI's as a snap cap) can be resealed but for only a short time, it will lose it's carbonation fairley quick.:drunk:

snaproll said:
1 liter bottles from Grolsch?? Cool I've never seen one. At least that I remember. ( getting long in the tooth here).
But that does make a difference my apologies. I was wondering how you would split a 16 oz bottle three ways and still call it a glass. But I have strayed form the original question.
A Flip top bottle ( known in europe by the GI's as a snap cap) can be resealed but for only a short time, it will lose it's carbonation fairley quick.:drunk:

I should have clarified - they are "grolsch style" bottles due to the flip top. I purchased them from my local home brew shop owner. Not the actual bottle that manufactured by Grolsch that would come in the 16 oz style. I assumed everyone was talking about the same thing. From the posts, it appears as though half were talking about the bottles I was referring to and the other half were talking about the bottles you were referring to. Considering the entire conversations on these boards consist of 3-4 line ramblings, I'm frankly shocked.

OK. That makes sense now. I can see where Americans who have not been overseas would call them Grolsch bottles, but I prefer to say "flippes" or "Grolsch-style" as you meant to say.:D

I have over 100 Grolsch bottles and several hundred more German "flippies"...as we GI's called them in Germany.

I never heard of them called "snap caps", but that's not saying someone somewhere called them that.

I also have about 7 - 2 liter flippies that are decorative and used for display.

I am sorry, the original Post DID say "Grolsch style", and yes we do like to express ourselves, sometimes after a hombrew at that .:mug:

Back