Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also want a new red dead, just beat assassins creed 3 . awesome game, i heard the latest hit man is also great

Yeah at least Microsoft extended the warranty on it. I sent I think 2 or 3 back with RROD but it did hurt my playing time. I'm actually in the middle of being pissed off at Microsoft so I may buy the WiiU a little early. I think it's asinine that you need to be a gold member to use Hulu and Netflix. The free content I can understand but those shenanigans require a subscription. When I was a big gamer it didn't phase me cause I played games online anyway but now I'm thinking I could spend 60 bucks on Live, or spend 290 more and get a new system and never have to pay a fee to play online. It's something I'm seriously considering if I ever get pissed off enough at my XBox

Getting nickel and dimed over the years by Microsoft definitely wears on you. The Wii U looks interesting but my current Wii is collecting dust at the moment. After the initial fun of the first Wii, I only used it for Zelda and the occasional Mario game. I think I'm waiting for the first price drop this time around, see how things work out.

The cost for Xbox live has always blown my mind compared to PSN being free. I've subscribed to PS+ which is pretty awesome, and is the same price as Xbox gold.

I also don't understand the cost of Xbox live and I fear PSN might cost in the future. I dis PS+ for a while and really liked it. Will probably get back into it once the new system launches.

Getting nickel and dimed over the years by Microsoft definitely wears on you. The Wii U looks interesting but my current Wii is collecting dust at the moment. After the initial fun of the first Wii, I only used it for Zelda and the occasional Mario game. I think I'm waiting for the first price drop this time around, see how things work out.

That's my concern but I think with the Wii U (or at least I desperately hope) that they'll realize they have to appeal to the hard core gamers as well as the hobbyists and I think they realize it since they made the pro controller. Cause lets face it sometimes you just want to play a traditional shooter or sports game. I mean it's hard for me to leave XBox and I probably will get live again at some point (Gears Judgment) but the whole idea that you need a gold subscription to access crap you need a subscription for rubs me the wrong way. To me that just isn't good business and it won't help promote the growth of the XBox as a smart TV replacment which they want to be with things like Smartglass, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. And for me it's not a price thing, it's a principle thing. When I was playing games online I had no issue with paying for XBL because face it there were no issues like ther ewas with PSN or whatever the Wii used. But I have no desire to play online, so I'm not gonna pay 5 bucks a month to not utilize something. that 5 bucks can buy me 2 ounces of good hops!!

I'm probably gonna wait for the WiiU to drop as well, or until they have some more games. Right now there's not even a game on the horizon I'm excited about. Or at least not one Ican't get on the 360. I know in the end I'll cave and buy XBL Gold but every month that I protest I pray not having my 5 bucks hurts Microsoft in the smallest way possible.

PC gamer for life. The only consoles that really gave me true entertainment existed in the 80's. You just can't compete with a computer for graphic quality and controls, granted I use an Xbox controller for some platform/sidescroller games on my computer.

Back to the original topic, I'm big into multiplayer games, TF2 specifically, it's sort of an addiction. Can't handle the hacking with the CoD series, thankfully that bug never bit me... although single player can be fun for a quick story.

I also don't understand the cost of Xbox live and I fear PSN might cost in the future. I dis PS+ for a while and really liked it. Will probably get back into it once the new system launches.

Having both systems, I never found nearly the presence on PSN that is on xbox live. While I'd prefer that apps like Hulu and Netflix didn't require gold, it's really not that expensive. If you shop the deal sites you can usually find 12mo gold subs for $35-39 delivered and they stack if you're worried about future price increase. Even at the high end that's $3.33 a month, less than the cost of buying a cup of coffee at most places.

The cost is only unreasonable if you buy directly from MS at $60/yr. If you don't play online, then of course there's little value, but if you do it's well worth it.

PC gamer for life. The only consoles that really gave me true entertainment existed in the 80's. You just can't compete with a computer for graphic quality and controls, granted I use an Xbox controller for some platform/sidescroller games on my computer.

That's true on graphics for sure. I do 99% of my limited gaming on consoles these days, but after spending all day on a computer for work, the last thing I want to do is sit in my office playing games. I'd much rather relax on the couch late at night playing them on my flat screen tv.

Having both systems, I never found nearly the presence on PSN that is on xbox live. While I'd prefer that apps like Hulu and Netflix didn't require gold, it's really not that expensive. If you shop the deal sites you can usually find 12mo gold subs for $35-39 delivered and they stack if you're worried about future price increase. Even at the high end that's $3.33 a month, less than the cost of buying a cup of coffee at most places.

The cost is only unreasonable if you buy directly from MS at $60/yr. If you don't play online, then of course there's little value, but if you do it's well worth it.

I usually get the deals on it as well, and I had no qualms when I was playing games online, but right now I'm not and really haven't since last September or so whenever I leveled up in Gears 3. Right now I just have no interest in playing online.

That's true on graphics for sure. I do 99% of my limited gaming on consoles these days, but after spending all day on a computer for work, the last thing I want to do is sit in my office playing games. I'd much rather relax on the couch late at night playing them on my flat screen tv.

That's not bad, I didn't know they discounted, I thought it was a fixed price. Even 60 isn't that bad, I thought it was much more expensive than that.

I'm up in the air regarding the new consoles. I grew up a PS guy, but opted for the 360 over the PS3. Left 4 Dead was the sole reason i picked up an xbox.

I've slowly been getting back into PC gaming as well, just finished half life 2 again, such a great game.

Spent many, many, many hours in Starcraft and WC3. Trying to get a DOTA2 invite to check that out have a few friends that are playing that.

Anyone have a favorite flash game? I'm looking for something to fill a few minutes at a time when I don't have time to sit down on a console.

Anyone have a favorite flash game? I'm looking for something to fill a few minutes at a time when I don't have time to sit down on a console.

There was a Dragon Age game a couple years back that was pretty good if you're into turn based RPGs. I think it was Dragon Age Legends.

Not a flash game but a masterpiece of a browser game:
www.kingdomofloathing.com

I have been playing for years; currently on a break.
It appears to be a very simple humorous game on the surface; but this game is massive and complex.
Free to play and will only take a few minutes a day for your first play through.

I'm o Armor Games now, lot's of good stuff, but it's hard to decide.

Kongregate has tons. If you want something to play to its end in a few minutes, 15-60, try Creeper Wold Evermore. They put out a new map every day. There are several other Creepers too with a set number of maps.

I'm looking for a new RP. Something kinda WoW/SWToR/Elder Scrolls ish, but not a pay to play MMO.

I'm looking for a new RP. Something kinda WoW/SWToR/Elder Scrolls ish, but not a pay to play MMO.

Tera is pretty good and just went F2P. Rift is also F2P up until level 20, and I really liked it, I used to be a paid subscriber until my friends all stopped playing. In either case, I found both to be much better than SWTOR.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but Path of Exile is an excellent online action RPG. Its free to download and play. It has a lot of similarities to Diablo 2/3 but much better than D3 in my opinion.

www.pathofexile.com

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but Path of Exile is an excellent online action RPG. Its free to download and play. It has a lot of similarities to Diablo 2/3 but much better than D3 in my opinion.

www.pathofexile.com

Agreed! I'm loving it so far. I've read others' opinions that it's a "true" sequel to DII and I think so too.

51084779701b7.jpg

Kongregate has tons. If you want something to play to its end in a few minutes, 15-60, try Creeper Wold Evermore. They put out a new map every day. There are several other Creepers too with a set number of maps.

Not that new but The Witcher 2 is awesome. Torchlight 2 is newer but more like a diablo rpg.

Tera is pretty good and just went F2P. Rift is also F2P up until level 20, and I really liked it, I used to be a paid subscriber until my friends all stopped playing. In either case, I found both to be much better than SWTOR.

I just downloaded, patched and started playing TERA on that advice. :mug: Fun so far.

But you can damn sure go afk.

Not that new but The Witcher 2 is awesome. Torchlight 2 is newer but more like a diablo rpg.

This close to buying Witcher 2. Went TERA instead.

Witcher 2 was a fun game; takes a fork in the first chapter so you can play through it twice with different experiences.
Well worth the $15 on a steam sale.

Bioshock 3 (infinite) quick review

First of all, I am a big fan of this series.
This game doesn't hold up well against the original; it is missing the creepiness and stress that the original did very well.
It doesn't quite live up to the hype either, you can easily tell that they had many good ideas that they either did not fully execute or cut from the final product.
Visuals and setting is very impressive as expected in a Bioshock game.
I would describe the story as something that was written by Bill Maher after watching Futurama's Farnsworth Parabox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farnsworth_Parabox).
The multidimensional aspect is interesting if you can keep up, and the social/moral implications are mainstream MSNBC as expected in a Bioshock game. I don't think the game aims to offend given the fantasy setting but some sensitive people may be upset.
Combat is now more Halo like, you feel like you are as tough as Master Chief and you are even given a regenerative shield early on. I simply equipped the fire grenade and played the game like Halo. (I like Halo)
Gameplay is more linear now, so much that the map was removed because you don't need it anymore. And like the original Halo, many areas are played through backwards and forwards.
Game plays with a predictable pattern though; a combat encounter followed by scrounging/exploration. It is easy to spot where the next combat encounter will occur; non-combative areas do not contain multidimensional tears.
It is still a good experience and fun play though; I would save my $60 though and wait until the price comes down. Overall 7/10

No story spoilers.
May spoil some of your fun once you notice some of the same things that I pointed out. But it will not ruin it entirely; game is still good.

I remember seeing a video of the gameplay a year ago and was really excited about it, but after all the reviews I've seen on it, I'm not so excited anymore...

I remember seeing a video of the gameplay a year ago and was really excited about it, but after all the reviews I've seen on it, I'm not so excited anymore...

That is part of what is so disappointing, the Hype. The gameplay segment that was shown at the E3 show was very exciting, but was cut entirely from the finished product. The previews, trailers, and commercials contain rendered videos that are absent from the game. The situations played out by the videos are also absent from the game. I watched over a dozen creator interviews on youtube that described ideas that did not make it into the final product. It really feels, unfinished...

I have been playing video games, but mostly older ones. I did recently finish LA Noire + DLC (yay Steam sales!) a few weeks ago, and that was really enjoyable and well done, I thought. My only real gripe is the same one I have with most Rockstar games, which is that the controls for walking/running around, doing combat, etc. are pretty awful compared to most other games. It just feels sluggish and awkward, the guy never does exactly what I want, etc. The driving isn't exactly the best, either...especially if you stick with the default cars you get sitting outside the police station. That can be improved upon if you steal some of the nicer cars, though, and it is actually pretty easy to avoid a lot of the tedious "travel" bits by asking your partner to drive instead. Although, there are still some scenes where you have to tail or chase a suspect where you're stuck behind the wheel of some whaleboat.

Anyway, here's hoping Rockstar finally gets the controls to feel a bit better in GTA V....I'm not really holding out hope at this point. All their games have had pretty much the same controls since GTA III.

As a counter-point to that, I have also been playing Saints Row the Third recently, and it is pretty damn fun. It is like they took what Rockstar did with the GTA series and distilled it down to just the fun parts, and then added even more fun parts until they cranked it up to 11. And, they got the controls to feel way better than anything Rockstar has ever done to boot. It's completely over-the-top ridiculous, and SO MUCH FUN because of it.

How long did it take to finish LA Noire?
I bought it last year on a steam sale but never bothered to download it due to other games coming out around the same time. Now that you reminded me I think I will install it tonight.

I'm on a 360, as for online im keeping up with BF3 mainly and still play zombies on BOps 1 occasionally with friends ( BOps 2 disc got devoured by the 360).

How long did it take to finish LA Noire?
I bought it last year on a steam sale but never bothered to download it due to other games coming out around the same time. Now that you reminded me I think I will install it tonight.

Did you get it with the DLC? Steam claims I have 45 hours into the game (including all the DLC), although that is somewhat inflated due to me walking away while it was running and making/eating dinner, taking a shower, etc. I would say probably something like 30ish would be reasonable if you play it through from beginning to end WITH the DLC content. Without, according to my perusal of what is and is not in the base game, I'd say probably 20-25 hours if you take your time working through the cases as I did.

The DLC in the game shows up as additional cases which are worked into the main storyline if you are playing through for the first time. I really enjoyed the "Nicholson Electroplating" DLC case which comes a bit later on in the story.

I'm a big fan of League of Legends and Starcraft 2. Both require your full attention though and so don't make them good "pick up and play when you have a few minutes" games. Very fun and challenging though.

I know this is an older game, but I just started playing it last night and I gotta say Red Dead Redemption is bad ass!

Finishing up Skyrim..consumed quite a few hours of my life.

I played that for a long while but then I took an....

Nah honestly I got to the point where I one hit killed a dragon with a dagger and decided it was time to hang it up. Moved on to Darksiders which was awesome.

Back