How do I make this taste good? :>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssummer

Reaction score
Hi team,

My kombucha is working beautifully, but I have to say, it is SOUR. What do you add to it to make it taste delicious, like the "Synergy/Dave's" brand they sell in supermarkets?

Thanks for guidance. I have a bottle in my fridge I'd love to mix into something to make it taste less like vinegar....

I've never tasted synergy Dave's, what I like to do is not let it get too sour and when I put it in a bottle to carbonate I put a piece of dried ginger the size of my first pinky digit( tip to knuckle) in the bottle. Let it set on the counter for a couple days then fridge it. The ginger helps cut some of the sour .

Thanks for the reply, Turdhammer. Dried ginger sounds like a great fix. We get great locally made candied ginger here, so I might try that too.

Ginger works well but my personal favorite is to add REAL Pomegranate juice to it at bottling time. YUM! Plus this makes it SUPER healthy.

be sure the ginger doesn't have any preservatives in it, potassium sorbate covers all the stuff i can find here, and its not good for micro-organisms.

Stop fermentation at PH3. Get a couple of flip top bottles. Decant into the bottles. Add juice, ginger, berries etc. A good starting recipe is 1 1/2 ounces of grape juice to a 12oz bottle of kombucha. Dried cherries work great as well (about 8 per bottle). Fresh ginger is a great addition. Careful, however, not to add too much fruit sugar and ginger together or you can create too much carbonation or cause inactive yeast colonies to awaken and give you off flavors.

Depending on the tea or combination of teas I am using, I like to bottle at a lower ph, like 2.5-2.7 because I don't like too sweet a flavor and I want a little "bite" to the flavor. When you bottle and start secondary fermentation, the flavoring combinations are endless and can really change the flavor of the kombucha. Some of my favorite flavor combinations for secondary fermentation are:

• Chopped organic red apple, 2 whole cloves, 1/2 cinnamon stick (apple cider taste, delicious!)
  • Fresh or frozen pineapple with crystallized ginger (Very fizzy)
  • Fresh slices of organic oranges and lemons (refreshing)
  • Lemon slices with crystallized ginger (great with green tea)
  • Orange slices with vanilla bean (great for batching using Red Roobios tea)
  • Dried Lavender, rose petals, or chamomile (relaxing blends)

@cowan322 -- thanks for the suggestions. this sounds amazing! I'm going to start a batch using Roobios tea next. what a great idea. I love the idea of flavoring during secondary fermentation.

These are going to be so fun to try. Thank yoi!

Back