can you autoclave in the oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I want to can some wort for starters only thing is i do not have a pressure cooker..Do you think i can heat the oven to 240*F and put the jars in a water bath and put them in the oven for 30 mins? Would that completely sanitize the wort/jars?

My best guess is that it would work if your lid was air tight. Otherwise the steam will escape and not heat the water enough. To reach a temperature over boiling or 212 f the pressure in the vessel needs to increase for the temp to increase.

To 'completely sanitize' is to sterilize. And, you cannot autoclave in your oven as that requires a pressure vessel (an autoclave) in order to raise the temperature above boiling temps. However I "think" there is another technique involving a longer boil time and lower temps. Please check for details as that would be important.

My best guess is that it would work if your lid was air tight. Otherwise the steam will escape and not heat the water enough. To reach a temperature over boiling or 212 f the pressure in the vessel needs to increase for the temp to increase.

So maybe if i fill the jars with boiling wort then seal and cool it will create a vaccum and cause the jar button to be in..then proceed to the oven water bath..sound good?

To 'completely sanitize' is to sterilize. And, you cannot autoclave in your oven as that requires a pressure vessel (an autoclave) in order to raise the temperature above boiling temps. However I "think" there is another technique involving a longer boil time and lower temps. Please check for details as that would be important.

Oh damn i need a pressure cooker..Well i quess im getting one thank you

Just can them in boiling water. People can that way all the time. No need for the oven. You're not going to get it above boiling temp in the oven anyway. I have pressure canners and that's better, but I don't see anything wrong with just boiling them.

Also, DO NOT try to screw your lids on airtight. You will explode the jar. And I wouldn't pour boiling wort into a cool jar. They're not meant to handle that stress. They're designed to be heated and cooled slowly.

Just can them in boiling water. People can that way all the time. No need for the oven. You're not going to get it above boiling temp in the oven anyway. I have pressure canners and that's better, but I don't see anything wrong with just boiling them.

Also, DO NOT try to screw your lids on airtight. You will explode the jar. And I wouldn't pour boiling wort into a cool jar. They're not meant to handle that stress. They're designed to be heated and cooled slowly.

If it wasn't for this post i would be wearing an eye patch in the near future ..thank you

Back