Pilsner Base in APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrain

Reaction score
I have some extra pilsner malt I want to use up. If I use the pilsner grains in place of 2Row for the base grain of an American Pale Ale recipe, what type of flavor difference could I expect? Thanks for any thoughts...

My guess would be not much, plenty of breweries use pilsner malt as their base for many beers. Will there be subtle differences, sure... but I doubt they would be very noticeable unless you brew the beer very regularly with very good batch to batch consistency

Pilsner has a noticeable, distinctive grainy aroma, more so than two - row, in my opinion. The more specialty grains and hops you use, the less you 'll perceive the difference, because of the other aromas and flavors. Also, brewing with pilsner produces mord of the precuser to DMS which may be perceived as a cooked corn off-flavor. Boiling for 90 minutes will take care of that.

Sounds like a fun experiment.

No problem. And if you boil hard, you should be fine with a 60 min boil.

My "house brew" is 8# floor malted Pilsner, 1# crystal 40 and 1/2# Garambinus honey malt. Very good. Nice amber color. Nice and hoppy also. Not sure if I can call it a true Pale Ale but it tastes very similar to O'Dells Five Barrel Pale Ale. Just a little more hop flavor and aroma.

I say go right ahead and use Pilsner. I do boil for 90 minutes.

if you use pilsner, boil it for 90 minutes to get rid of the dms. otherwise, it'll be fine (just a little different)

Thanks for the input. Brewed it today with a 90min boil, 90% pils, 5% crystal 40, and 5% wheat. I`ll post the results in a few weeks....

Back