Homebrew at bachelor party (selling tickets)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
so I'm throwing a bachelor party for my best friend and he asked that I bring homebrew... I plan on bringing my kegerator and two kegs and having the taps open for whoever wants it in addition to a few cases of commercial beer. My question is, since I'm selling tickets to the party (as per custom) are there legal ramifications for serving my homebrew? I don't want to get the feds after me... was thinking if I just dont advertise the fact that there will be homebrew, I shouldn't have any problems... would anyone else be worried about this?

Cats out of the bag now isn't it? ;)

Just say the tickets are for splitting the cost of the commercial beers.

Unless you're selling tickets to the general public, I don't think the authorities will give a hoot one way or the other.

Strictly speaking, if someone did press the issue and it's actually illegal in your state/locality, I suspect you'd have a hard time weaseling out of it. Courts don't typically like people playing transparent games like claiming the fee was not covering the homebrew.

Given my limited layperson's understanding, I suspect the correct answer strongly depends on where you're located. If it's a private event and the fee is a flat fee to attend, I could imagine that perhaps some places would permit it. Seems pretty iffy though.

i guess i haven't been to that many bachelor parties...but i didn't know it was "custom" to sell tickets for them...

i highly doubt the feds will not give a crap about your party.

It is probably technically illegal just like if you were to make a bunch of food and ask people to chip in for the cost. However common sense would say that no one really cares if you sell tickets. Now if you made this a weekly deal....you might have problems.

well, if I consider the homebrew a gift to the bachelor... and if he decides to share with the people who came to his party... no issue there, right?

Charging admission to get into your house may be enough to get yourself into problems with local ordinances. You might also have state alcohol law issues with distributing your alcohol to other people or taking it out of your house. Depending upon your local ordinances, you may create other problems where you are serving beer or serving homebrew at a "private club".

A lot of this depends on whether you are selling tickets -- implying a commercial venture -- or cost-sharing the true costs of a private party among its participants. Is this a party with a limited number of participants in which they are splitting the costs of only the strippers or are you throwing a "the more the merrier" party with tickets at the door?

It's unlikely you'll have any problems and even if the fuzz shows up it's unlikely they are going to try to figure out where the beer came from and alert the state ABC but you asked a question about the legality, not the likelihood of getting caught if it is wrong.

If home brew is your number 1 concern, it isn't going to be a good bachelor party.

Jk have fun.

Why don't you collect money before? Then there is no money at the party............deny deny deny lol

Back