Local or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoolander

Reaction score
If you could buy hops from a local organic grower would you if the price was 2$more /per lb. ?

I actually had a local hop grower by me and was very happy with the hops. Yes they were pricey but overall not too much more for organic and you can get any fresher.

Ok should there be a forum about local hop growers on this site, So the home brewer can find them in his/her local area? Good or bad idea?

I get Cascades locally for free!

(They are hand picked right outside my house...)

Seriously, no though. I am too cheap. I generally buy them on sale in bulk when I buy them.

Probably Not unless the price difference was under $1, I am too cheap. I avoid the LHBS whenever possible as I can always buy cheaper online. I do the same with everything, if I can get it online w/shipping for cheaper than local. I buy it that way.

Sad too, as I really like the local stuff, I just don't buy it cause I can save $0.75 else wheres.

Not only do the freshness and quality make it worth while, I'd just rather support a small local business whenever I can. If my lhbs goes out of business, where will I go if I have to have something TODAY?

Probably not. The LHBS is a huge ripoff like 3 times the price I can get online. Plus it's really out of the way for me. I'm hoping more shops pop up in the area but doubtful.

jotakah said:
yes i would

Ok you say that you would. What is your reasoning to do so?
Take in to consideration how your purchase effects your local brewing community.
And like another pointed out what if the quality wasn't as good as the hops you have used in the past?

WhineinAlbany said:
Probably not. The LHBS is a huge ripoff like 3 times the price I can get online. Plus it's really out of the way for me. I'm hoping more shops pop up in the area but doubtful.

I was speaking of the local grower not the LHBS. The price of the LHBS is middle man.
But on the other hand HB themselves could encounter local organic hops at an LHBS on a more readily basis.

Ok you say that you would. What is your reasoning to do so?
Take in to consideration how your purchase effects your local brewing community.
And like another pointed out what if the quality wasn't as good as the hops you have used in the past?

My reasoning is that I try to eat local and organic as much as possible, and if I could brew organically and/or locally sourced ingredients I would do that too. I have never once bought ingredients online because I'd rather going to my LHBS and bull**** with the folks there. And like somebody else said, if it goes out of business and I need something TODAY (which happens often), then I'd be S.O.L.

If the quality was not as good, I would still use non-organic and non-local, but if organic local hops are anything like organic local food, I would bet that the quality is superior not inferior.

Well I'm not far from Yakima, WA so yes I would and this summer I will be. I will probably buy more than I need straight from the farm.

jotakah said:
My reasoning is that I try to eat local and organic as much as possible, and if I could brew organically and/or locally sourced ingredients I would do that too. I have never once bought ingredients online because I'd rather going to my LHBS and bull**** with the folks there. And like somebody else said, if it goes out of business and I need something TODAY (which happens often), then I'd be S.O.L.

If the quality was not as good, I would still use non-organic and non-local, but if organic local hops are anything like organic local food, I would bet that the quality is superior not inferior.

The reasoning that you used was very valid, and had understanding of the market you based your choice on.

Back