Can You Brew It recipe for 21st Amendment Back In Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the Brewing Network website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.
If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

Big thanks to elproducto for transcribing this recipe! Even used my format and everything! :tank:

OG 1071
SRM not listed
IBU not listed
FG 1018

90 minute boil

5.58kg 2-row base malt 77.8%
850g Munich 11.9%
430g Caramunich 60lov. 6%
310g Carafa Special (Brewer said Carafa II) 4.3%

Mash at 154F

16.5g Warrior 17%AA 90 min.
22g Centennial 8%AA 20 min.
15g CTZ 13.9%AA 0 min.
29g Simcoe 12%AA Dry Hop
58.5g Centennial 10%AA Dry Hop

US-05 yeast or Wy1056/WLP001 [canned product uses US-05 and the brewpub uses US-05 or WLP001]

Ferment at 68 degrees

Notes: Kim Wood (homebrewer) said she adjusted her bittering addition to 80min. to compensate for the 15 min. whirlpool hops. Kim dry hopped 4 days into fermentation, she said the yeast was still fairly active. Kim noted that she added gypsum (1.5tsp, probably during the mash but she didn't specify). Jamil noted that adding the high color malts will alter the mash pH and a brewer should consider adding chalk, but that depends on your water.

BN Crew said it was definately cloned.

How is the commercial product?

My only 21st Amendment experience was a seriously infected can of Watermelon brew. Threw the other 5 cans out after can one.

My only 21st Amendment experience was a seriously infected can of Watermelon brew. Threw the other 5 cans out after can one.

I cant believe you threw out the rest! Its rare that a can gets infected let alone the whole sixer!

When I put these numbers in BeerSmith, I am getting 21.8 SRM...not exactly a "black" IPA...more of a medium dark brown. Anyone else getting same?

I havnt put the numbers in but I can tell you that the comercial beer is not tblack likea porter. Its actually sort of dark with a reddish hue.

One of my favorite Black IPAs. I just brewed one of the only clone attempts that I could find. Its being dry hopped in secondary right now and will be bottled this weekend. Guess I'll be brewing this next so I can compare!!!! =)

I've been seriously disappointed with everything 21A has made. Everything I've had of theirs, whether it be in a can or on tap, has been off in one way or another, Back in Black is no exception. I really wanted to like them, but in my experience they just can't get it right, and with their prices I can't justify continually buying their product in the hopes that maybe the next can will be good.

One caveat to this is their collaboration with Ninkasi, "Allies win the War." I really like that one. It took working with Ninkasi for them to make a good beer.

I've been seriously disappointed with everything 21A has made. Everything I've had of theirs, whether it be in a can or on tap, has been off in one way or another, Back in Black is no exception. I really wanted to like them, but in my experience they just can't get it right, and with their prices I can't justify continually buying their product in the hopes that maybe the next can will be good.

One caveat to this is their collaboration with Ninkasi, "Allies win the War." I really like that one. It took working with Ninkasi for them to make a good beer.

On the East Coast here, and the 21A six packs of cans has been around $11. I liked their Back in Black, but overall, I'm not a huge fan of black IPA as a style. The Allies Win the War was really enjoyable, and their Brew Free or Die IPA I find ok, but it doesn't differentiate itself from most other IPAs. Their Bitter American I LOVE, but it's hard for me to drop $11 for a six of 4% pale ale. Great hop aroma in that beer, but one might think it would be less expensive than say, their IPA, due to lesser ingredients makign a 4% beer vs a 7% beer. That said, I do understand that some distributors (or maybe it's the retailers) basically group a brand into one lump. "All 21A six packs will be $11" for example. Not sure how that works

jimlin said:
On the East Coast here, and the 21A six packs of cans has been around $11. I liked their Back in Black, but overall, I'm not a huge fan of black IPA as a style. The Allies Win the War was really enjoyable, and their Brew Free or Die IPA I find ok, but it doesn't differentiate itself from most other IPAs. Their Bitter American I LOVE, but it's hard for me to drop $11 for a six of 4% pale ale. Great hop aroma in that beer, but one might think it would be less expensive than say, their IPA, due to lesser ingredients makign a 4% beer vs a 7% beer. That said, I do understand that some distributors (or maybe it's the retailers) basically group a brand into one lump. "All 21A six packs will be $11" for example. Not sure how that works

Nah, that's just 21st' price point. It 10 and some change out here in Oregon too.

Rule of thumb, distributers tack 30% onto the brewery price and retailers tack on another 30%.

Cheers!
Kevin

i made this pretty much exactly by the recipe. dry hopped for 3 days warm + 2 days at fridge temp. tasted it while racking to keg, and it is really nice, but i have to say is somewhat overpowered by simcoe-ness. i can't get the commercial beer here so i'm just going from memory, last had one 2 months ago, but i don't remember a piney/catty blast! i like simcoe in moderation, but wouldn't mind if that character fades a bit, cause otherwise it tastes great. wonder if anyone else has had a similar result

in case anyone does read this, it faded, like i should have known it would, and what i'm left with is an entirely pleasant slight pine, heavy mango hop aroma. it's really nice! just needed that extra week or two

I was so confused because I looked up Black in Black on 21A's site and I was so confused why it didn't match up with what was in the original post, but I just listened to the podcast and I see that even the 21A brewer gave out the recipe in the OP. So apparently they've changed their recipe in the last couple years. Has anyone tried to clone their newer recipe?

I'me a beginner at recipe design, but here's my WAG about how to make the updated one. How does this look:

Code:
Boil Size: 7.12 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.30 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 25.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
11 lbs 12.0 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        85.5 %        
12.0 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        5.5 %         
12.0 oz               Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)             Grain         3        5.5 %         
8.0 oz                Carafa III (525.0 SRM)                   Grain         4        3.6 %         
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop           5        50.6 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop           6        19.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min      Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days  Hop           8        0.0 IBUs

I was so confused because I looked up Black in Black on 21A's site and I was so confused why it didn't match up with what was in the original post, but I just listened to the podcast and I see that even the 21A brewer gave out the recipe in the OP. So apparently they've changed their recipe in the last couple years. Has anyone tried to clone their newer recipe?

I'me a beginner at recipe design, but here's my WAG about how to make the updated one. How does this look:

Code:
Boil Size: 7.12 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.30 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 25.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
11 lbs 12.0 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        85.5 %        
12.0 oz               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        5.5 %         
12.0 oz               Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)             Grain         3        5.5 %         
8.0 oz                Carafa III (525.0 SRM)                   Grain         4        3.6 %         
1.00 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop           5        50.6 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop           6        19.5 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min      Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
2.00 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days  Hop           8        0.0 IBUs

What podcast?

Reviving this old thread:
I brewed this recipe and bottled it two days ago. The uncarbonated beer already tastes great, I can't wait for the bottles to be ready to drink! I definitely will be brewing this again.

:mug:

I think I'll stay with the simcoe recipe. My favorite brew so far. Maybe it's because the dark malts play well with my water, but this is just too delicious. I just dry hopped my 2nd batch.

Back