5 gallon igloo portable kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanwick

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I saw a post somewhere (maybe not HBT) describing how to convert a 5 gallon igloo cooler into a kegerator for 3gallon cornies, but now I can't find it.

Hard part that I don't want to mess up is boring out the lid so that it fits on with the 3gallon corny inside.

Anyone done this conversion or seen that link? Apologies if this was better for DIY area. I am feeling an affinity for the kegging crew as I just got my chest freezer last weekend! :rockin:

There is a article in the latest Brew magazine on two portable draft systems including a 5 gal water cooler build. Looks pretty cool.

I am pretty sure I saw a post somewhere (maybe not HBT) describing how to convert a 5 gallon igloo cooler into a kegerator for 3gallon cornies, but now I can't find it.

Hard part that I don't want to mess up is boring out the lid so that it fits on with the 3gallon corny inside.

Anyone done this conversion or seen that link? Apologies if this was better for DIY area. I am feeling an affinity for the kegging crew as I just got my chest freezer last weekend! :rockin:

Not sure if this will help?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/portable-igloo-cooler-kegerator-172047/

I've been playing around with my old 5 gallon MLT cooler. A 3 gallon cornie is a pretty snug fit for a 5 gallon cooler. Not a lot of room for ice.

It will work, but don't expect it to stay cold for days.

Cpt Kirk is right. I had this photo layinig around. I just have the faucet and portable CO2 charger mounted on the keg. I just slide some ice down in there, it stays cold all day. Not fancy but it gets it done.

CIMG2085Medium.jpg

pola0502ds, that definitely made me laugh out loud.

mklawz, I am planning to go without the lid for now as well. Want to see how much of a hassle it is to lug around a larger Co2 and also to determine if I want to install a faucet or just use a picnic tap.

BrentM, thanks for the reminder. The magazine is where I saw it. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere online. Too many brew info sources!! :)

So how do you chill it, fill it up with ice? Thats a really cool deal. How much do you think you paid for everything besides the keg.

What type of hose is the blue line?

I chill the keg in the kegerator. Then once it's in the Tailgater I fill with ice. As for how much, it's been way to long and I don't recall. The faucet, shank, and drip tray came with my original keg kit. But if I was to guess I'd say $150 not including the keg. But again, I'm just guessing. The blue line is just CO2 line that I got from the Beverage Factory. I believe MicroMatic sells it as well along with probably many vendors here on HBT.

As for the CO2 cartridge, it takes a couple of them to dispense a keg.

Thanks for the response... I really want to build something like this. It makes sense for family functions and club meetings.

Back