help with AHS Anniversary IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod734

Reaction score
I got my kits today from AHS, the IPA extract kit has 8lb ex pale extract and 1 lb crystal 75L malt. I like IPA but they seem to have a wide range of bitterness. this kit calls for a 60 min boil with 1 oz. of Newport hops at 60 min, 1 0z Falconer's Flight at 15 min, and dry hop with 1 0z of Cascade. It's supposed to finish at about 5.6% abv but I can't find the IBUs anywhere. from what I'v been able to determine I think I like IBU about 45. I am just finishing a keg I made from a coopers hopped extract kit and it is too bitter with a bitter lingering aftertast. With these hop additions can anyone determint the IBUs and how to keep it in the 40 range.

jussec, i just brewed that and have it in beersmith....

i forgot i added corn sugar to mine to dry it up. had to remove that too. comes out to 59.7

i altered it, because, its what i find fun about the hobby.
added 2 extra hop additions and some corn sugar.

if your boil size is 3 gallons, it should come out to around 46ibu's. add some corn sugar and it will also bring it down a touch more. but 6 ibu's, you probably wont be able to tell the difference honestly.

mine, i did a 5 gallon boil size, and held its hand for 60 minutes, so my ibu's were higher.
yeah I'm a masochist.

love Amarillo, you can do Amarillo at flame-out and dry hop with the cascade. that could be nice.

I just got this kit as well, and was curious about the ibus as well, as newport is supposed to be pretty pungeant... I entered the values into beer calculus, and the ibus came to about 49 or so...

I am more a fan of hop flavor and aroma rather than extreme bitterness(and yes I know 49 is nowhere "extreme");)...I recalulated to 35min boil and this brought it down around 41 I believe..I am also thinking of adding addtional Falconer's Flight for aroma...they are supposed to have great citrus character, and I have heard they are fantastic...let us know what you decide and how it goes! :mug:

i did this for hops

0.50 oz Citra [12.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.3 IBU
1.00 oz Newport [13.70 %] (60 min) Hops 36.7 IBU
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.6 IBU

oh, and dry hop
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
but its still fermenting, so haven't added it yet.

I bought this kit too but I'm adding summit, cascade, and amarillo, as well as an extra pound of corn sugar at the end of the boil. Shooting for more bitterness, aroma, and an extra kick.

I got the same kit, but spiced it up a bit. Didn't enter anything into beersmith, and my hydro is broke, so I'm flying blind on it. but I was trying to up it more to an IIPA. Added 1 oz of each: Newport at 60, 50; Columbus at 45; Falconers Flight at at 14, 13, 10; Cascade at 3. I have some Citra too, and may drop hop with that depending on how the sample tastes. It's still in the primary, so who the heck knows how it'll end up - either be great or taste like grass, I suppose. But I had fun brewing blind!

I dry hopped my last batch with 1oz each of Falconers Flight and Simcoe, and it was fantastic. FF is my new favorite hop. I'm ordering this kit tomorrow so let us know how it goes!:mug:

I dry hopped my last batch with 1oz each of Falconers Flight and Simcoe, and it was fantastic. FF is my new favorite hop. I'm ordering this kit tomorrow so let us know how it goes!:mug:

I think I will do this first IPA according to the origenal instructions and see how it turns out. I'm going to order 5 more before the sale is off. AHS recomends you use them within a month, but most on the forum feels the malt will keep much longer refrigerated. I wont try to keep them for very long, as soon as I get a more personal knowledge of how the kit turns I can adjust it accordingly. It seems like a good basic lit to make anything out of, I'v got other specialty grains, and I can get the kit cheaper than I can get malt extract normally.

What yeast is everybody using? I think I will use nottingham because it's supposed to be neutral, not causing citrisy or ester flavers, and I'll be able to tell more about what the hops are doing.

I think I will do this first IPA according to the origenal instructions and see how it turns out. I'm going to order 5 more before the sale is off. AHS recomends you use them within a month, but most on the forum feels the malt will keep much longer refrigerated. I wont try to keep them for very long, as soon as I get a more personal knowledge of how the kit turns I can adjust it accordingly. It seems like a good basic lit to make anything out of, I'v got other specialty grains, and I can get the kit cheaper than I can get malt extract normally.

I bought three anniversary kits, bundled the order with my buddy too so we could hit free shipping. That is key if you really want them to be a good deal. I bought 1 extra ounce of cascade for this beer, but have no idea how I'll use it yet.

I used Wyeast 1056 that i have in the fridge that i harvested and used with it.

day 7 and still bubbling away every 6 seconds in the basement.
been working on the car today, so i feel too grimy to take a gravity reading, maybe in another day or two. going to dry hop this in the primary, and try skipping the secondary like a lot of people suggest around here.

I am brewing this kit right now. I adjusted the hops for a full boil, so the only change I am making is using the leftover Falconer's Flight at flameout, about 0.3 ounces.

I am new to brewing and I bought this kit from AHS, but their boil size is 3 gal. I do full boils, how do I adjust my hops for a full boil?

What yeast is everybody using? I think I will use nottingham because it's supposed to be neutral, not causing citrisy or ester flavers, and I'll be able to tell more about what the hops are doing.

White labs california ale 001

in beersmith

5 Gallon Boil
8.00 lb Extra Pale Malt Extract (2.5 SRM) Extract 88.89 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Newport [13.70 %] (60 min) Hops 43.3 IBU
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (15 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
59.7 IBU's

3 Gallon Boil
1.00 oz Newport [13.70 %] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
1.00 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
41.8 IBU's

if you adjust your 5 gallon boil bittering hops to 0.75 oz then it will go down 11 ibu's
if you adjust your falconers 15 min addition to 0.50 oz then it will go down another 7 or so ibu's.
you can then take that extra .5 oz of falconers and add it to the dry-hop, which will probably be a nice addition. and you'll be real close to the same ibu's as the 3 gallon boil recipe but with a lil extra dry hopping aroma.

i.e.
0.50 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Newport [13.70 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
0.50 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU

40.7 IBU's

this is of course if my aa's match your hops aa's.

Would toasted oats be a nice addition? I've never used them but I've read they bring a good flavor.

i've not toyed with oats yet. i suppose a little will add to mouthfeel and haze.
in an ipa, i wouldn't overdo it by any means.

i've not toyed with oats yet. i suppose a little will add to mouthfeel and haze.
in an ipa, i wouldn't overdo it by any means.

The mouthfeel is the main reason I might add a bit. Toasting them would add an a bit extra to the backbone it think. I won't fret over the haze if it tastes good.

I bought this kit too, let me know how it turns out whenever anybody has it ready.

I didn't make any changes to the kit, except that I am going to dry hop in the primary for probably 7 days after 3 weeks in primary. Thats the plan anyways just brewed it last friday

anyone make this kit as is, not changing anything? Anyone have a finished batch yet?

I brewed one of mine today. I done a full mash with my grains and added about a pound of minute rice, and bumped it up to six gallon because I like to keg 5 and bottle a few, and I thought the rice might lighten it up a little. OG 1.055, I used nottingham yeast and as luck would have it we are having a heat wave so I got it in a water ice bath at 60 degrees F.

I brewed mine, the extract kit on Friday night. I followed the directions and didn't change anything. This is my first IPA. It seemed light on hops for IPA, maybe more of an Pale Ale. I am not a hophead, so I am glad it is on the lighter side of IPAs. I am still wondering if I should have added a hop and now it is too late. I have read and heard that the dry hopping does little for flavor and is really only for aroma.

ENS: the kit does come with an oz to dry hop, so I think you'll be good. I'm a hophead which is why I added so many extras to mine.

I think I calculated 16 hbus, which is at the lowend of the style, but if you take out the hops (cascade) for the aroma or dryhop, the HBUs are much lower. I sorta wish I put the cascade in towards the end of the boil and then got another hop for dryhopping.

Just X-fer'd my AHS Anniversary IPA to the secondary after 8 days in primary. Gravity is 1.013 so im very pleased with what the US-05 yeast accomplished so far. Only change i made was dry hopped with 1oz of Cascade AND 1oz of Centennial i had around.

Smells great so far :)

-Justin

photo-8.jpg

Mine just went to the secondary last night as well, after close to 3 weeks in the primary. It's dry hopping with 2 oz of citra.

anybody have one finished yet?

seems like a lot of people thought the same thing as me and went with an IPA because it was so cheap and IPAs are usually more expensive.

I am going to dry hop this weekend in the primary which will be about 2 weeks into fermentation.

I've got this kit in my primary right now, been there since Friday. I didn't make any changes, and pitched a WLP001 starter. Fermented like it was going out of style for the first few days, has really calmed down. I'm going to transfer to secondary this weekend, and probably give it 3 weeks or so there.

Thoughts on 1 vs. 2 weeks of dry hopping for this kit?

I was told 10 days for dry hopping is a good amount.

anybody have one finished yet?

seems like a lot of people thought the same thing as me and went with an IPA because it was so cheap and IPAs are usually more expensive.

I am going to dry hop this weekend in the primary which will be about 2 weeks into fermentation.

Yea, my first order I got 2 IPAs, an APA, a Porter, and a Stout. I decided to take asvantage of the sale and ordered 5 more IPAs I figured I could make about anything I wanted with the IPA kit if I decided I wanted something different. I brewed an IPA Saterday, a Porter Monday and just done an APA. I'm going to time it so when one finishes I can rack it right in a corny and let it cond. untill I need it and brew another one and dump it right on the yeast cake. Trying to get a pipline so I can let them cond. at least a couple months before I need to drink it.

I couldnt find this thread a couple days ago, but anyway I see alot of you guys doing what i did and altered the recipe, mine is in the primary right now, I bought an extra ounce of falconers flight. and had some whole cascade leaf in freezer
I swapped the cascade/newport 50/50 for bittering, somethin like:
60 .5 newport
60 .5 cascade
15 1.00 falconers flight
Flameout .5 cascade
flameout .5 falconers flight
dryhop .5 falconers flight
dryhop .5 whole cascade
1056 yeast
Will keg in about 14 days, look forward to hearing how you guys do with yours. ill post back.
later

I made all kinds of changes.
-Added 8oz. of Dry Malt Extract to the boil.
-Used the 1oz of Cascade at flameout.
-Tonight I dry hopped with 1oz. Cascade and 1oz. Amarillo
-Also I made a big starter with some washed Wyeast 1469 I had.
This will be my first kegged beer. Should be interesting.

brewing mine this weekend. ordered two extra ounces of Falconer's flight and one extra of cascade. going to flame out with a cascade/FF combo and dry hop with a cascade/FF combo.

also planning to use AHS own Greenbelt yeast.

Bottled mine on the 16th - I'll report back when it's drinking time. Mike - very curious how that Greenbelt yeast turns out. It's on my list of ones to try soon.

i'll keep you posted. it definitely requires a starter as it's apparent they don't turn over as many of these as they do the other Wyeast strains. My pack was already a month old when it arrived..

Back