Competition Fever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avibayer

Reaction score
Submitted some ESB's to HomeBrew Alley 4th annual comp in New York, and now i am hooked. Sadly there are not that many "local" comps anytime soon. Is it crazy to start shipping my beer all over the country?

Submitted some ESB's to HomeBrew Alley 4th annual comp in New York, and now i am hooked. Sadly there are not that many "local" comps anytime soon. Is it crazy to start shipping my beer all over the country?

Absolutely. That is why I am doing it!

Seriously, I understand what you mean by getting the fever. I am really the only person I know who drinks my beer. I craved having some feedback and finally, when I thought I was really ready to nail certain aspects of my brewing, I submitted to a couple of comps. The feedback (is poor as some of it was) was a big help and helped me to find flavors in my beer that I would not have noticed before. It gave me hints as to what might be the next thing to "fix" in my brewing.

I had no intention of actually winning, but last summer I took 2nd place in a local competition. I got a Hat, a Shirt, and a cool Medal. So it was fun.

I've already submitted to two comps that happen to pop up. One is on the other side of the state, and the other is a state away. There is one coming up in May that I am brewing for.

I would not send to every single competition out there, but pick some that not too far away and have fun with it! The feedback you are likely to get will be valuable. I think the BJCP, or AHA or somebody has a list of comps that might help you find one to send to.

Nothing wrong with shipping your beer. I used to enter a lot of competitions and after a while, you know all the local judges and their feedback, while good, is too familiar. I sent to the Dixie Cup in Texas and some competitions in NJ and WA. Can't hurt to get notes from other judges and win some distant medals.

Nothing wrong with shipping your beer. I used to enter a lot of competitions and after a while, you know all the local judges and their feedback, while good, is too familiar. I sent to the Dixie Cup in Texas and some competitions in NJ and WA. Can't hurt to get notes from other judges and win some distant medals.

You're shipping beer from Croatia? Ever have any customs issues?

I entered my first competition that is scheduled for judging this Saturday in Boston. I entered a stout, an IPA and an Indian Brown ale. They say they have nearly 400 entries. Who the hell can drink that many and be able to judge fairly, LOL? Looking forward to the results.

Its perfect time for competition fever. NHC first round entry deadline coming fast. Unbeknownst to my superiors, I've spent the last two days staring at the calendar trying to figure out how I'm going to fit in a few more brew days before April 1st.

Your may want to check out MCABXIII. This may give you some direction for competitions to enter. Any first place finishes in the qualifying events gets you into the MCAB next spring.

Awesome feedback. I sent off two bottles to the Drunk Monk comp in IL, and am thinking about sending two more to one in SF. After that i think i might be done for a little while though. Two of my last three batches have been extract kits, since i could not bring myself to brew outside in the snow.

Maybe start getting into it again with a APA recipe i am playing with. But wont be brewing that for a week or two.

Back