Pacman - Almost gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Pacman yeast is only available until Dec 31, so get it while you can! I picked up a pack over the weekend because I want to try Lor's Dead Guy clone. Lor, can you post the link to your recipe?

I don't know how to post a link (sigh) but I can copy and paste- here you go!

Dead Guy Ale (Clone)

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME (I substituted XLDME)
1 oz Perle@ 7.5 AA for 60 min
1/4 oz perle 30 mins
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins

if you can't get Pacman then substitute
Wyeast 1338 or 1056

I've got to go get some more pacman next week before it's gone. This was a great recipe- malty and slighty bitter with a distinctive "pacman yeast" taste.

Lorena

I've got some PacMan working in Evan!'s vanilla bourbon winter warmer....hopefully I'll be able to harvest and re-pitch when it's done....LHBS is 1 hour away :(

pain++ said:
I've got some PacMan working in Evan!'s vanilla bourbon winter warmer....hopefully I'll be able to harvest and re-pitch when it's done....LHBS is 1 hour away :(

How's that going so far? Mine is pretty much finished with primary. Tasted it last night...down to 1.020 +/- from 1.075. Not bad. Very malty, a little roasty/smoky. Missing the hop character, but that's what I was going for. Wanna showcase the bourbon and oak and vanilla, not the hops. If I were to bottle it as/is, it'd be good, but not great.

The bourbon/oak/vanilla "marinade" is doing great. I tasted a tiny bit the other day...damn. I want to drink it straight! After smelling it, SWMBO actually demanded that I make her a vanilla bourbon drink like that. Too bad vanilla beans are so expensive...but I'll do it for her anyway.

How much oak did you end up using? I upped mine to 1.75oz. Won't know if that's enough until I added it to the beer, though.

I have been stocking up on the Pacman myself. I now have 4 packs in the fridge and usually include one on an order.

I also got around to brewing up my Dead Guy Clone this weekend. I hope to do a side-by-side comparison in 5-6 weeks to see how I did.

Here is my all grain recipe if anybody is interested:

Tim's Dead Guy Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.50
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 16.01
Anticipated SRM: 13.7
Anticipated IBU: 41.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
48.4 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
32.3 5.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.5 1.00 lbs. CaraMunich 60 France 1.034 57
6.5 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
6.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Perle Pellet 7.40 35.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.70 3.8 15 min.
1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.70 2.3 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp WYeast Yeast Nutrient Other 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1764 Rogue/Pacman

Hey Evan,

I'm going to rack tomorrow <brewed a few days after you!>, but the fermentation looks good. I used 1.5oz of oak, pre-packaged in a teabag-like sack from the LHBS. Steeping looks like it's going along well, did you end up adding any more vanilla? I'll let you know when I rack how we're looking.

Matt

I've heard that Dead Guy is basically a Maibock fermented with ale yeast. Don't know how true this is. I really like the beer though, so I'm going with Lor's recipe since she brags about it so much. I'm thinking of making a BIG starter and then washing that down and seperating it into 4-5 cultures so I can have more on hand for future recipes.

pain++ said:
Hey Evan,

I'm going to rack tomorrow <brewed a few days after you!>, but the fermentation looks good. I used 1.5oz of oak, pre-packaged in a teabag-like sack from the LHBS. Steeping looks like it's going along well, did you end up adding any more vanilla? I'll let you know when I rack how we're looking.

Matt

I've supplemented by adding a few drops of vanilla extract to the bourbon soup here and there, because the bourbon seemed to be overwhelming any notions of vanilla. But I think it's where I want it now. I really don't care for beers that use alot of vanilla extract (ahem, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter...cough, cough, Anderson Valley Winter Solstice), because it tastes "fake", so I'm taking it easy right now. Plus, I'm cheap, so I only used one vanilla bean. You?

I used 2 beans, and am pretty pleased with my bourbon soup. I plan to toss it into the secondary, and see where it goes from there. If it's not enough, I'll go ahead and use some extract :)

OK, I'm going to make this, with a few modifications. Let me know how much of a difference it'll be since I bought a few wrong items.

Saddam Hussein Ale (Dead Guy Clone)

13oz Caramel 40L (Didn't have Belgian Cara-Munich)
13oz Munich 10L (is this the same as German Munich?)
7oz UK Crystal (bought the wrong stuff. Shouldn've gotten US Crystal 40 deg L)

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
1 oz Perle@ 7.6 AA for 60 min (Lor's called for 7.5)
1/4 oz perle 30 mins
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins (I have whole Saaz, so probably bump it up to 10.5 grams)

Pacman yeast

Technique:

2.5 gallons brought to a boil, for hops.

~1.25 gallons heated in a seperate pot to 150, then added grains and worked to maintain consistent temp.

At last 10 minutes in hops pot, added grain wort and extracts.

Cooled with water kept in the freezer, plus some ice.

britishbloke said:
Anyone have a dead guy clone mix for an extract brew?

I have light LME........... Hopes etc...

I dont have the gear for a all grain brew yet.

Thanks.

Mine's untested, go with Lorena's. Are you doing partial mashes?

I just ordered a few of the Pacman yeast. Rogue is my favorite beer and I intend on brewing a few of their clones. I need to read up on re-using yeast, it's a shame to waste good yeast.

Dan

evetS said:
I just ordered a Dead Guy AG kit including the Pacman from Austin, along with two extra Pacman for later.
Very nice! I just got back from the Rogue Brewery, they were having their end of year garage sale. I came back with a couple more cases of beer. Their Youngers Special bitter and a Sweet chocolate stout so this makes it 6 cases I've bought within the past week. I love living close to it it's great to get deals like I did today.

Dan

Cheesefood said:
OK, I'm going to make this, with a few modifications. Let me know how much of a difference it'll be since I bought a few wrong items.

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
1/4 oz perle 30 mins
1/4 oz perle 5 mins

Pacman yeast

Technique:

~1.25 gallons heated in a seperate pot to 150, then added grains and worked to maintain consistent temp.

Don't know how this will turn out. It didn't taste great when I racked to Secondary, so I dryhopped 1.5 oz of Saaz (3.4%).

I found a dead fly in the bag of Saaz I got from Freshops.

Cheesefood said:
Don't know how this will turn out. It didn't taste great when I racked to Secondary, so I dryhopped 1.5 oz of Saaz (3.4%).

I found a dead fly in the bag of Saaz I got from Freshops.

Maybe this batch should be called a Dead Fly clone?

Anyone know if I can still get a hold of this yeast somewhere?

Oh, and, um, Todd...dude...ever since Chris Lloyd sold out to DirecTV and took a shyte all over the legacy of BTTF, your avatar/quote leave a bad taste in my mouth. :p

Evan! said:
Oh, and, um, Todd...dude...ever since Chris Lloyd sold out to DirecTV and took a shyte all over the legacy of BTTF, your avatar/quote leave a bad taste in my mouth. :p

I think that ship has sailed. You are forgetting BTTF 3. A flying locomotive time machine?

todd_k said:
Anyone know if I can still get a hold of this yeast somewhere?
I doubt anyone has any left. I have a starter going of dead guy right now. Started it last week. Last night I poured off some into a bottle and capped it so it's ready to go for next time. The rest I kept in the flask and added more extract to keep it going. If you want I could keep the starter going, and bottle up some more and ship it to you. Then the "Live Yeast Samples" labeling trick would actually be true. :p

todd_k said:
I think that ship has sailed. You are forgetting BTTF 3. A flying locomotive time machine?

A flying locomotive time machine I can handle. Mary Steenbergen screaming "EMMET!!" over and over again...that was what did it for me.

But still...stupid sequels are one thing. Jerkass tv commercials are another.

I will propogate it and keep it alive and supply it to forum members if somebody sends me some. I have been thinking about how I can freeze yeast in vials inside larger dry-ice blocks for shipping in the summer months.

I harvested from my Dead Guy. It's in the fridge with the trub and wort. I've yet to revive it and wash it. If anyone needs any, I'll gladly get some for them.

nice cheese i went a bit over kil and got 6 packs that last time i ordered supplys im going to be makeing a nice starter tonight for my wee bastard.:drunk:

Cheesefood said:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
1/4 oz perle 30 mins
1/4 oz perle 5 mins

Pacman yeast

Technique:

So is this the one pictured in your gallery?

Picked up probably one of the last two packages of Pacman in Illinois today at my LHBS.

The shop keeper said he was probably going to buy the last one before he goes home.

I'm using mine on my IIPA this weekend. I'd harvested (I think) my Irish Ale yeast from our porter we made two weeks ago, but I'm not sure I did it right.

I still have 4 packs of PAc-Man left. Ive re-used yeast cakes many times, but do not want to merely rack onto the yeast cakes over and over. I want it cleaner and fresher.

Has anyone just made standard starters, split the batches, and then stored them away, and then made larger starters of of the split batches? If so, how many times do you think this could work?

I would be intrested in some Pacman yeast is anyone still has some! I am planning on doing the AHB dead guy clone but this week! I will cover shipping and whatever elts!

will somone please explain the benefits of this 'pac-man' yeast? i'd love to brew with some...i'm in PA if anyone wants to send me some i'll pay shipping...

:mug:

Pacman is the house strain that Rogue uses in its ales. It is a very clean fermenting and highly attenuating yeast. I have done several batches with it and have had nothing but success. I wish it would become a strain that Wyeast would keep in the catalog all year around.

I am down to three packs in the fridge. I like the yeast so much, that I don&#8217;t want to part with any.

ok so I was just doing some searching and reading on the fourm and I came along this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3498
and I was wondering if It was posible to use the yeast from say a Rogue Dead Guy brew and make a starter out of that???

My problem is i am not sure if Rogue brews have a yeast layer in the bottem!
(closes Rogue Dist. is an hour away)
any Ideals?

score....buddy of mine brewed an IIPA this past weekend, stopped into work (a lab) before leaving for my vacation and had a YPD plate with a yeast lawn on it, plate labelled "Rogue Pacman, 3/4/07, Tom"...thanks tom, will be making some glycerol stocks when I get back to work on monday.

If anyone else is looking for this strain, I would be happy to ship you a small culture of it in return for a White Labs vial that you have used, assuming there is a small amount of un-contaminated yeast in it, and it isn't a strain I have in my library yet.

You need to know how to culture yeast of course...

I have two bottles of saved yeast in my fridge. If anyone wants some I could easily do another starter and send some. I don't know how well it would survive the trip, but I'm sure several days is not a problem.

Back