Perpetual NY/NJ/CT bulk grain thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuafields

Reaction score
Well, we just added another 8 bags of grain to our pantry and are pretty stocked up for now (thanks again Rommel!), but I have an idea for the future: what about a perpetual 'shopping list' for those of us in the area? Whenever one of us is in need of grain, we could add it to the list, and place an order when we reach pallet quantity. This way we wouldn't have to be watching the forum like hawks for someone to take initiative on a bulk buy, worried that we'll miss the opportunity. Yay? Nay?

Current order summary

Bohdan987: 2 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter = $92.53

NoVa: 1 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter = $65.73 xxx paid

ajf: 2 x TF T101 Maris Otter = $82.28 xxx paid

badcoffee: 1/2 x CMC 4007 Rye = $14.79 xxx paid

shecky: 2 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x TF T101 Maris Otter, 1/4 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal, 1/3 x CMC 4074 Wheat = $103.83 xxx paid

magnj: 1 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1/4 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal 60, 1/3 x GB GB501 Honey Malt, 2/9 x CMC 4074 Wheat = $55.31 xxx paid

HopheadNJ: 1 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter = $65.73 xxx paid

pickledherring: 1 x CMC 4074 Wheat, 1 x BM B101 - Pilsen, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter, 1 x TF T101 Maris Otter, 1 x TF T106 Golden Promise, 1 x TF T105 Pearl, 1/3 GB GB501 Honey Malt, 1/3 x FB F401 Special Aromatic, 1/2 x BM B401 Acidulated = $270.11 xxx paid

jaginger: 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter, 1/4 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal 60 = $46.98 xxx paid

rmullins: 1 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter = $65.73 xxx paid

flananuts: 2 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x BRD 0758 Maris Otter, 1/4 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal, 1/9 x CMC 4074 Wheat = $103.86 xxx paid

wilserbrewer: 1 x CMC 2002 2 row, 1 x CMC 2060 pale, 1/3 GB GB501 Honey Malt, 1/3 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal 60, 1/3 x CMC 4074 Wheat = $88.62 xxx paid

Lenny2884: 1 x CMC 2060 pale = $27.35 xxx paid

joshuafields: 1 x OIO=BRI rice hulls, 1 1/2 x CMC 4007 rye, 2/3 x GWMC GW-C60 crystal 60, 2/3 x FB F401 Special Aromatic, 1/2 x BM B401 Acidulated, 1 x BRD 0194 chocolate, 1 x BRD 0196 Roasted Barley, 1 x OIO OIO-FC1 Flaked Corn, 1 x CR-DEXTR50 dextrose

Big yay, I love this idea. Considering how quickly these pallets filled up there could be orders fairly frequently.
I think there would have to be a pool of people who are able and willing to accept the orders so no one person is overly burdened.

Any other opinions on this?

I would be able to receive a future order. We used the loading dock at my studio in Brooklyn to receive the order BadCoffee organized a little while back. Maybe one way to handle it is that the person who is ordering the most bags can manage the order.

I'm up for it. Although from the sound of it, Josh, you've been brewing way more than I have. I have 4 untouched bags from last time...

B

I'd be up for this too, but I'm sure the sacks I got this last time will last for quite a while. Hopefully not, but they prolly will.

I know we're in need of a bag of rye, maybe some crystal 40 or 60, some rice hulls... anyone else in the NYC vicinity need grain? It's winter, what else ya got to do?

I am in Brooklyn and I would like to get in on this.

Where is it ordered from? Is there any way I could see whats available?

I am in Brooklyn and I would like to get in on this. Where is it ordered from? Is there any way I could see whats available?

We order from North Country Malt Supply. Go here:

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pricing/index.asp

If prompted to enter a password to see the pricing, it is "greatmalt".
Then download the North Country price book under the heading "Other Pricing". We'd be ordering whole bags (50-55 lb each). The pricing will either be in the 1000# or 2200-4000# column. I think they can fit 40 bags on a pallet. Delivery is around $200, so factor in roughly $5 per bag shipping (depending on total number of bags ordered).

We used to spend at least $30 for a 5-gallon batch. Since we started buying in bulk, we can now make about 15 gallons for the same price. Get your bulk on!

Josh, you should have said something! I just gave away 2/3 of my bag of hulls.

I need 10# of rye or so. If someone wants to split a bag I'm up for it.

B

Shoot, missed the hulls... I remember how comically large that bag was! It takes a lot of volume to make 50 lbs of rice hulls.

i'm down for some more 2 row or maris otter or optic or whatever. plus if people in brooklyn need help moving grain bags from the distro point i'm glad to put some miles on my car.

I'll split a bag of rye.

Also, I have a bag of 2-row pale and a bag of munich from the last GB. Let me know if anyone wants it.

B

Out on the Island(Patchogue), would be willing to drive in to Brooklyn and bring some east.

Thanks Wino24 -- I don't think the previous group buys have included anyone from Long Island, so this could help expand the pool and fill a pallet. Any ideas what you might have on your shopping list?

I could do with a couple sacks of Maris Otter (in Ridge). If Wino24 wants to pick it up, I'd be happy to share the traveling expenses with him.

-a.

I would be interested in two row pale and marris otter if it extends to LI. I'm in Bethpage.

im still good from the last one but might need a couple more sacks in a couple months or spring

I edited the first post to reflect a tally of the current order. Of course, this is assuming that the Long Island orders are ok with Wino24. Please continue to update the specifics of what you want, and I'll edit the first post accordingly. It looks like at the moment, we're at about 15 bags, so we've got a good ways to go to get to a full pallet. Who else out there wants to get in on this?

All requests have been added to post #1.

I have to figure out what else we need, but there's a good chance we'll be interested in partial bags of some crystal/chocolate/specialty stuff. If anyone might be interested, let me know. I really enjoy having a stocked malt pantry vs. not having required ingredients and having to pay $2-3 per pound.

I'm interested in a bag of 2-Row, looks to be about $28? Do their prices include shipping? I'm just a little confused about the process and I think you deleted the first page in the thread. I'd also be interested in a partial bag of Vienna or Munich and a Crystal.

magnj, I'll add you to the list. A 55 lb bag of CMC 2-row would be $25.30 if we get the 2200lb pricing (which is 40 full bags, or 1 full pallet), or $26.95 if we don't get a full pallet.
The first page isn't deleted -- see post #8 for the catalog link. Our pricing will be one of the first two columns (1000# or 2200-4000#) depending on our order quantity. The prices don't included shipping. They charge a flat rate for freight delivery based on distance from their warehouse. This is somewhere around $200 to Brooklyn. They charge $75 extra for a truck with a lift gate, but if we have it delivered to my studio in Sunset Park, there is a dock so we can avoid that charge. The per bag shipping cost will be the total freight cost divided by the number of bags. So if we order 40 bags and the freight is $200, that's $5 per bag.
The process in the past has worked like this: we keep the order open until we get at least one full pallet. We then close the order, tally the cost for each person, and then money is sent, usually via Paypal, to the organizer. When all money is collected, the order is placed, and the malt is delivered within 3-4 days.

Josh,
I'll gladly split up the vienna/munich (forget which it is) I have. I'm not going to use 55# anytime soon. I can divide it and bring it with me when I pick up the rye.

B

Josh,
I'll gladly split up the vienna/munich (forget which it is) I have. I'm not going to use 55# anytime soon. I can divide it and bring it with me when I pick up the rye.

Cool, maybe you and magnj can talk directly and work out the details. If he'll be picking up after you pick up, I'd be happy to hand off the malt.

magnj, I'll add you to the list. A 55 lb bag of CMC 2-row would be $25.30 if we get the 2200lb pricing (which is 40 full bags, or 1 full pallet), or $26.95 if we don't get a full pallet.
The first page isn't deleted -- see post #8 for the catalog link. Our pricing will be one of the first two columns (1000# or 2200-4000#) depending on our order quantity. The prices don't included shipping. They charge a flat rate for freight delivery based on distance from their warehouse. This is somewhere around $200 to Brooklyn. They charge $75 extra for a truck with a lift gate, but if we have it delivered to my studio in Sunset Park, there is a dock so we can avoid that charge. The per bag shipping cost will be the total freight cost divided by the number of bags. So if we order 40 bags and the freight is $200, that's $5 per bag.
The process in the past has worked like this: we keep the order open until we get at least one full pallet. We then close the order, tally the cost for each person, and then money is sent, usually via Paypal, to the organizer. When all money is collected, the order is placed, and the malt is delivered within 3-4 days.
Sounds good, keep me updated.

Josh,
B
Ok let me know, looks like there are only 10 bags on order so far...not sure how long it will take to fill a pallet.

Ok let me know, looks like there are only 10 bags on order so far...not sure how long it will take to fill a pallet.

We're closer to 20 right now, if everyone follows through.

Here are a few of the specialty malts/adjuncts we might be interested in splitting, if anyone is interested:
crystal 60
Aromatic
chocolate
acidulated
Roasted Barley
flaked maize

Is anyone interested in splitting a 7lb bucket of 5.2ph Adjuster?

Anyone know if the price list in post #8 is the same list from our last buy? Will we wait for the pallet to fill or is there a cutoff date?

And just a reminder - if you add any chemicals they throw a HAZMAT fee at you too. It's just a single fee, so if you have one, maybe add more to possibly split the fee.

Anyone know if the price list in post #8 is the same list from our last buy? Will we wait for the pallet to fill or is there a cutoff date? And just a reminder - if you add any chemicals they throw a HAZMAT fee at you too. It's just a single fee, so if you have one, maybe add more to possibly split the fee.

Hey Rommel -- I'm pretty sure it's the same list; I don't think they've changed their malt pricing in the past year. I'm thinking we should wait for the pallet to fill. If anyone is opposed to this, let me know.

Thanks for the HazMat notice. I'll give them a call and find out the specifics.

Back