Filtering from pot to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
My first time brewing and I had some trouble getting all the "trub" crap out when going from pot to primary. Does this matter, and can/should I filter again when moving wort to bottling bucket?

You can use a funnel that has a filter in it. I usually just let things settle in the pot after cooling so I skip most of the break material. That is also the reason I shoot for 5.75 Gallon batches out of the boil instead of 5 G batches. I can afford to leave some wort in the kettle at that volume.

Don't filter going into the bottling bucket. Everything should settle out on its own during and after fermentation.

I never filter the trub/break from the kettle. I don't pour it all in, but I don't worry about getting it in the primary.

Nearly everything goes in the primary here, I tried to whirlpool last time but the whirlpool stopped and I could still see a ton of trub throughout the kettle so I just dumped it in. Always tastes fine to me but I am going to try the whirpool deal again next go.

I use a 6 gallon pail as a primary, and use one of those 5 gallon paint strainer bags to filter out hops and break material.

I have started just making the batch bigger.

If I set the siphon on the "ledge" of my keggle, most of the trub tends to gather in the low spot in the middle, and I only get a little into my primary.

I have also tried putting a grain bag over my ale pail, siphoning into the bag, straining the trub, then siphoning AGAIN into the primary. Which is a PITA.

I just filter out all the big stuff and whole leaf hops

P1040888-800.jpg

P1040815.JPG

P1040813.JPG

I use the exact same method with the funnel & collander. Best part is, the greater the distance you add the wort to the collander from the kettle, the more aeration you get.

Back