You were all right...again. Will listen next time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browntrout

Reaction score
So i posted a thread yesterday(two days ago?) about weather a blow off tube was necessary in a 6 gal carboy or if there is enough head room. EVERYONE who answered said "yes", "why not", "why risk it", "I always do" etc. etc.

Did i listen?.. No

Did I pay the price... almost, very very close.

When I left for work last night there was some bubbling in the airlock but not much and minimal kraeusen. Thought I would be fine. Didn't feel like setting the blow off tube up. so i didn't

I got home from work this morning (17 hrs later) to find a VERY healthy kraeusen foaming up to the top, filling the three piece airlock and just starting to spew out of those small holes in the cap. I mean it JUST started because it hadn't even dripped down the side yet. So i quickly pulled it out, sanitized the end of a blow off tube and set it up. and man has that thing been active all day. bubbling like crazy, tons of foam through the tube. I mean that thing is ALIVE. I've never seen anything like it (this is only my second batch so it's all still really exciting).

So I now promise that if I ask and get a unanimous answer to a question again I will act accordingly.

Thanks to all. YOU are all beer gods in your own right...:mug:

I'll take that mistake and make sure I don't make it again.

N+1) set up blow off tube for Primary.

See... Now, I am just not the type of guy to say "I told you so"

Now you must drink 4 beers in our honor!!!

I told you so he he he he he he he he!!!! LOL:D
no blow off? What a NOOB:D

Welcome to HBT!!! Way to fess up!

Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

My first barley wine went nuts after I got on a train for a work trip. My wife was nice enough to fit a blowoff tube for me over the phone. The beer turned out great, but we trashed the airlock. Dark beers tend to foam up on me.

was able to remove the blow off today and replace the 3 piece airlock. man did a lot of stuff come off through the tube. definitely won't make that mistake again. i just hope in my haste to switch things around the other day i didn't contaminate...

did i ruin my beer?

should i dump it?

think i'm going to dump it. why waste the time. i'm sure i messed it all up.

just kidding

Back