IIPA Experiment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathedral

Reaction score
I love IIPAs, but I'm not very experienced on what hops are the best, and how they contribute. So I've decided to do a split batch using two different hops, and those hops only. I'm going to mash 5 gallons and split them up into one gallon carboys:

1g hop "a" no dry hop
1g hop "a" dry hop
1g hop "b" no dry hop
1g hop "b" dry hop
1g boiled hop "a", dry hop with "b"

What I need help with is: what two hops should I use? Which two are the most common that I should get a firm grasp on how they taste/smell, yet work well completely by themselves?

I already have an all-columbus IIPA in bottles so I don't need to use that.

Thanks HBT!

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Some of the popular IPA hops I've seen around here are Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Chinook, Centennial to name a few.

You probably already know what Centennial tastes like, considering two of the Midwest's best known breweries make all-Centennial IPAs (Founder's Centennial & Bell's Two Hearted).

I'd go with Amarillo and either Simcoe or Chinook. Well, actually, if it were me I'd try new and imported hops like Mosaic, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin... but those are not the common ones.

Ok, I'll try Amarillo and Simcoe

Heres what I'm thinking of for the recipe:

Type: All Grain Date: 1/20/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 72.00 %

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.0 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %

4.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 105.2
IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)
[23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -
3.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065
Est Final Gravity: 1.015
Bitterness: 126.4 IBUs
Est Color: 14.9 SRM

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium
Mash 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge 168.0 F

Looks good. I'd drop the crystal to 8 oz or less and add a couple more ounces of hops as a hop stand (add hops to wort at 160 - 185F and hold for 30 minutes). Make sure they're pellets, though.

I agree with cutting the crystal down to 8 oz, you don't want too much malty sweetness when your trying to accent your hops.

I'd also cut back on your 60 min 4oz addition, I think it's a little extreme and would turn out too bitter and mask some of the hop flavors your looking for. I think I would go with 2 oz or about 50-60 IBU, maybe even look at FWH.

Since the OP is interested in the hop contributions, I would recommend a bittering addition instead of FWH. I prefer FWH especially for my DIPAs, but if you want a true understanding of Amarillo and Simcoe's influence on a beer, stick with a traditional bittering, flavor and aroma addition.

I would recommend backing off the 60 minute addition like wobdee said, maybe backing it to about 60 IBU and doubling up the 20 minute and 5 minute.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll take the advice and drop the 60 minute add.

I'm not too familiar with how to do FWH so I'll save that for another batch and just focus on the timed editions for this one.

Back