Rehydrating Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing my second and third batches this weekend. I have 2 packs of yeast in the fridge and apparently need to rehydrate. My first batch I didn't put the yeast in the fridge. I got the extract kit, let it sit for 2 days at room temp, brewed and pitched. I had a crazy fermentation the next day (needed a blow off).

Do I really need to rehydrate? Or can i just take the packs out of the fridge the day/2 days before and let stand at room temp? I keep hearing re hydrating is the best but there is also risk involved (Could kill yeast).

Is re-hydrating different for each yeast or is there a general way to do it? I found the below that's pretty general but will it work for all yeast?

1 - Boil 1 cup of water to sanitize and take the oxygen out
2 - Pour boiled water into sanitized jar and cover with saran wrap till the water is below 100 degrees
3 - Pour yeast and let sit for 15 minutes. Do not swirl or mix
4 - After 15 mins swirl to suspend yeast and let sit for an additional 15 minutes
5 - Pour hydrated yeast into wort

I have Safale us-05 and Windsor Danstar yeast.

Any help is appreciated here! I just dropped about $60 on 2 new extract kits and I dont want to mess this up!

Next time I will buy extra yeast packs...how long are yeast packs good for when you stick them in the fridge?

Also, is it ok to make and aerate my wort, leave it in the fermentator for an hour while i'm re-hydrating or should i rehydrate at the same time the wort is boiling?

Thanks

They can keep quite a while sealed in the fridge. I keep my yeast packets in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door. I looked up re-hydrating temps after my US-05 seemed to stall on my 1st pm. I was rehydrating at 70-ish,& they said at midwests' PDF to rehydrate at 90-105F. It's supposed to make the yeasts' cell walls stronger. Since the US-05 was taking longer than usualt to produce visible fermentation,I think the cooler rehydrate temp weekened the yeast cells. So rehydrating at the highwer temps listed should be better. Have to try that myself.
I rehydrate the yeast for 20-30 minutes while I'm chilling the hot wort in the BK in an ice bath. It's ready to go by the time that's done & topped off in the fermenter,aerated & stirred roughly. Then stir up the resulting yeast cream & pour in after taking a test sample.

Pitching instructions: Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the
yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes
and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/sites/default/files/nottingham_datasheet.pdf

The people that make the yeast will let you know what to do.

Re-hydration appears to be successful! Within 4 hours i started to notice bubbles. Seems really quick, might be an intense fermentation. Should probably get the blow-off ready just in case.

The only thing i didn't do is stir for an additional 30 minutes. I did 10 times the yeast weight, boiled and sprinkled yeast. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Stirred (sanitized spoon) and let sit for another 5 minutes. I made sure it was within 5 degrees of the wort and then dumped it in. Appears to be working fine.

Is it really necessary to stir for 30 minutes? Seems tedious...

Not absolutly neccesary,no. But for yeast starters,it's supposed to be better. Not needed for rehydrating. You can search them on here for how to make one if you like.

Back