New guy needs advice: Single Hop IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
What I would like to do is have a standard malt base and a yeast for an IPA dry extract/steeping method and experiment with different hops. The IPA would be the American style. This will be my constant. Do you have any ideas?

Second, should I do a HOP BURSTING technique or should I just use MAGNUM hops for bittering as a STANDARD for 60 minutes and use the main hop of the IPA later in the boil for flavor, aroma, and dry hoping? How much and how long for dry hopping?

Finally, I need to decide what hop I would like to use. I know this is a huge question. I love strong flavor and aroma thanks to Stone IPA. With the knowledge you know right now what would you recommend to a new guy for his first single hop IPA? There are so many...

If you use Simcoe as you only hop it will be real bitter after two weeks in the bottle. After four weeks it will be awesome. After five weeks it will be gone. Go with a bigger than usuall boil for maximum hops utilization. Like you said, 1oz. for 60, and split the second ounce with 25, 15 & 5 minutes left. Third ounce for dry hop in primary.

I am making an IPA tonight but using Simcoe, Cascade, Cascade. I try something new every week.

Well, Stone IPA is Magnum and Centenials hopped to about 75 IBU's if you want something along that line. Columbus and Willamette hops are some of my favorites.

I like cascades for bittering, flavor, aroma and dryhopping. That makes an awesome APA. But I also like amarillo hops and simcoe. I dont' know if I'd use them for all the hops additions, though.

I like to dryhop with an ounce of cascades for about a week or so. Amarillo and simcoe are good hops for dryhopping, too.

If you have the hops or can get them for cheap (hop prices are going way up), I would do what you eluded to and add a bunch at 20minutes to flame out...enough to get you the IBUs you want. Kind of did this with my all Cascade APA, pretty good hop flavor.

Also, check out the Basic Brewing Radio show from 6-7-06, they tasted 5 different singled hopped beers and IIRC Simcoe was their favorite. I just Simcoe in a recent batch and it might be my new favorite too.

Back