Is this the oxyclean people are using in place of PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer135

Reaction score
I saw it I the store today... Just want to make sure. Thanks in advance!

image-1864680013.jpg

Hmm. I can't remember if the one I got is free or not. Oh well, I'm only using it to soak anyway. As long as you rinse well I don't think it matters if you are using glass.

Awesome! I picked some up. $5.79 for a 3lb bucket at the commissary on base here.

Remind me again what the mixing amount is per gallon of water???

I was wondering the same thing at the store last time. Didn't think using laundry soap made sense but I guess it works.

Remind me again what the mixing amount is per gallon of water???

It varies depending on how heavy a soak I need to do but generally I do a scoop for 5 gal and the scoop that comes with it is marked so it is easy to downsize it from there.

I was wondering the same thing at the store last time. Didn't think using laundry soap made sense but I guess it works.

It is more an oxidizer than a soap which is why it works so well for what we need it to do. I've taken to doing oxi soaks on all kinds of stuff since I started using it for brewing, lol.

Chlorine free, shouldn't pit metal. I use it on my kegs and kettles with no issues. I don't store it in them just in case.

I use the Wally World Sun Oxygen stuff in my corny kegs, too. But that's okay because they're stainless.

I don't use it in my kettles for two reasons:

(1) It's aluminum. I haven't tested it yet but I've heard on here many-a-time that it will pit aluminum.

(2) It's really not necessary. Rinse and a wipe with a rag and it's good to go. Since you're going to be boiling for 60+ minutes it doesn't have to be spotless and I also feel they are like cast-iron skillets (which you don't use soap on) where you get more flavor the more you use them. Just my $0.02

I use the Dollar Store version - Sun Oxygen Cleaner (might be the same as some others are buying at WalMart). It costs $3.50 for 3-1/2 pounds at Dollar Store.

I use the Wally World Sun Oxygen stuff in my corny kegs, too. But that's okay because they're stainless.

I don't use it in my kettles for two reasons:

(1) It's aluminum. I haven't tested it yet but I've heard on here many-a-time that it will pit aluminum.

(2) It's really not necessary. Rinse and a wipe with a rag and it's good to go. Since you're going to be boiling for 60+ minutes it doesn't have to be spotless and I also feel they are like cast-iron skillets (which you don't use soap on) where you get more flavor the more you use them. Just my $0.02

Yeah it'll oxidize the hell out of aluminum. Safe for a swish, scrub then rinse but I wouldn't even do that unless you really need it.

Direct from Oxycleans Faq:
http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

Is OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover sensible for the environment?
More than 95% of the ingredients are minerals, or break down into minerals and components that are readily found in our natural environment. OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover breaks down into oxygen and soda ash when mixed with ordinary water and uses the tremendous cleaning power of oxygen to remove stains. There are no toxic fumes. Like all cleaning products, it is not to be ingested.

How long will OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover continue working after I mix it with water?
The cleaning strength of OxiClean® will remain active for 6 hours after mixing. Dispose of unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet.

Summary:
It is an oxidizer that goes inactive once the oxygen precipitates (about 6 hours).
All that is left over is soda ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate) that is not much different than common Baking soda.
Safe to use on SS and plastics.

FWIW, that's exactly what I use. But I might consider going to the Sun stuff people here mentioned to save a few $$. Works great on cleaning out carboys. Just use super hot water, add a scoop and let it sit for 15min or so. The carboy brush will usually knock anything that's stuck in there off after that. Then I usually drain the water into the next carboy to be cleaned.

I'd advise to not let it sit overnight though. I did that once and it left a chalky film inside my carboy. Fortunately a quick vinegar soak got rid of that at least.

Back