Weird stuff in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb444

Reaction score
Hi all,
Yesterday I made my fourth AG brew, since i cant drink my barley wine i thought I'd make something else I can drink quicker. (8lb pale malt, 1lb flaked maize, 4oz goldings to 5 gallons) It all went well, I cooled the boiler by leaving it in a bath filled with water and ice, in 45 mins it was at 75F, but I couldnt see that the cold break had occured and the beer was a bit hazy. I filtered it though the hops and added the yeast.
Its all fermenting nicely but this morning the whole bottom inch of the primary was what I assume is the coagulated proteins.
Firstly, why was there are delay with the cold break occuring after the beer had cooled not as it cooled?
Secondly, is it ok to leave the stuff there or should i siphon it of into a different fermentor? Can it redissolve in the beer?
Thirdly, why does somthing always go wrong with my AG brews?!?
Thanks for reading,
Chris
Oh, and no i cant afford a wort chiller.

I can't answer as to why the cold break was delayed, but I have read that many people leave the hot/cold break in the primary without any ill effects. I don't think you have anything to worry about. RDWHAHB! :mug:

I use a CFC so all my cold-break ends up in the primary. I usually do 2 weeks in the primary and I haven't noticed a difference from when I used an immersion chiller. I wouldn't worry.

Have you tried using irish moss in the last 15 of the boil? That and whirlpooling while chilling should help with the break dropping out.

As for things always going wrong with your AG brews, you will eventually have a brew when everything goes right :)
When this happens, you will let your guard down, and on the next brew everything (not just little things) will go wrong. :D

-a.

Back