Yeast starter longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsort

Reaction score
I was planning an all-grain brewings session for today but my mash tun sprung a leak and forced me to abort. Friday night I started some yeast that were all sorts of excited to get into some wort this afternoon, but, now it can't happen till next Sunday. Is there something I can do to save the yeast or do I start again?

Cover the flask with tinfoil (which you should have done already) then stick it in the fridge. 24 hours before brew time, pull it out and let it warm up to room temperature.

Just seal it up and put it in the fridge. A couple of hours before it's time to pitch, take it out of the fridge to warm up. You'll be good to go.

I would personally take the starter and throw it in the fridge. Next week, just pull it out, let it come back up to room temp and then start a new starter with that yeast. This will just make sure that your yeast are still good to go before pitching.

I would personally take the starter and throw it in the fridge. Next week, just pull it out, let it come back up to room temp and then start a new starter with that yeast. This will just make sure that your yeast are still good to go before pitching.

Making a new starter isn't really critical. As the White folks say (as in White Labs Yeast) even freezing the yeast is only going to reduce viability by about 10% per freeze. A few days, or even a week, in the fridge isn't going to hurt the yeast enough to make a noticeable difference.

Back