Force carbonatation didn't work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_veja

Reaction score
Hi guys

The thing is...

I use kits for the making and keg the result.

Method:
  1. - buy a can of malt
  2. - mix on the fermentator with a 1kg of sugar
  3. - leave it for a week ( until the fermetation stops )
  4. - put on the keg with more sugar
  5. - leave it for a week or two

last week I tried ignoring the sugar on step 4 to force carbonate
left it for 4 days with the gas opened @ 29.0076 psi ( 2 bars ) and
the beer (bock ) was flat!

any thoughts?

[sorry 4 my english ]

kit :
connsr_bock_beer.jpg

Cheers | :mug:
Vasco

The beer must be chilled to really carbonate at that pressure. Was the beer chilled for the entire week or two? See this carbonation chart.

The necessary serving pressure also depends on the total resistance of your beer lines and taps.

really??

but I've read here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=37618

that :

30psi sounds like what it should be if the beer is room temperature though. When you cool it down to serving temp it will have the proper amount of carbonation and be just fine. But if it was already refrigerated, yeah 30psi is too much.

maybe I've interpreted wrong or something ;(.

either way i have to fix this...
any thoughts?

Vasco

Are you sure you don't have any gas leaks? If you have a leak somewhere and are venting gas before it gets to the keg that might be the source of your problem. Otherwise, even out of the fridge you should be seeing at least some carbonation.

Room temp is 68-72 degrees, at that temp and pressure, you are getting a carbonation level around 1.8 I would speculate. That is pretty flat. Not to mention the beer when warm resists carbonating more than cold beer. You need a week at room temp and 30 psi to notice much. Your best bet is to chill the beer then carb it.

Cool guys thanx

no leaks here! thats for sure!

It's not flat flat, but is near!

I'ts kind of hot here! so what I made was, opened
the other barrel ( 1 week of natural carbonation )
and it was perfect so... the other one will rest @ 30 psi
for the time i consume the first one!

:( no space for carbonation freezer

thx for the awsers

Vasco

force carb at serving temperatures...not room temperature. warm beer cannot hold CO2 as well as cold beer, and will resist the carbonation.

That chart is good, but it only shows two input variables... liquid temperature, and pressure. It assumes constants for time and for surface area (where the gas is in contact with the liquid.)

Using a carb stone or shaking the keg vigorously effectively increases the surface area quite a bit by immersing millions of tiny CO2 bubbles into the beer. A sphere (in this case, a bubble of gas in liquid) has the highest possible ratio of surface area for the volume inside. This aids CO2 saturation immensely.

Even laying the keg on it's side would help increase the surface area quite a bit over having it upright.

Vasco,
Since you want to carbonate as quickly as possible, and you don't have the option of reducing temperature, give the keg a shake and get those CO2 bubbles into suspension! :mug:

what if I connect the gaz tube on the liquid tube to force carbonate?

wouldn't the gas get in from the bottom of the keg, getting the most
contact possible with the beer?

:mug:
V

sir_veja said:
what if I connect the gaz tube on the liquid tube to force carbonate?

wouldn't the gas get in from the bottom of the keg, getting the most
contact possible with the beer?

:mug:
V
I fyou really want to force...FORCE carb your beer, don't mess with the gas connections.

THe shake method is highly effective in carbing beer up fast, but can be a bit unpredictable (too much carb).

Keep the PSI at around 30 and lay the keg across your lap (while your sitting in a chair of course).

Begin shaking the crap out of keg left to right. You'll begin hearing gas come out of the tank and into the keg (bubbling sounds). Shake the keg for 60-90 seconds or so. Stop. Wait until the bubbling stops. Repeat. Keep doing this about 6-7 times and then let it rest over night at the 30PSI.

Next day, close gas valve. Release any excess pressure from keg. Set PSI down to 8-10 (serving pressure), open gas valve and pour a glass. Keep tweaking this process until you get the carbing level you want. At room temperature you are not likely to over carb your beer with this process.

Oh...and get a refrigerator for petes sake. ;)

BierMuncher said:
I fyou really want to force...FORCE carb your beer, don't mess with the gas connections.

THe shake method is highly effective in carbing beer up fast, but can be a bit unpredictable (too much carb).

Keep the PSI at around 30 and lay the keg across your lap (while your sitting in a chair of course).

Begin shaking the crap out of keg left to right. You'll begin hearing gas come out of the tank and into the keg (bubbling sounds). Shake the keg for 60-90 seconds or so. Stop. Wait until the bubbling stops. Repeat. Keep doing this about 6-7 times and then let it rest over night at the 30PSI.

Next day, close gas valve. Release any excess pressure from keg. Set PSI down to 8-10 (serving pressure), open gas valve and pour a glass. Keep tweaking this process until you get the carbing level you want. At room temperature you are not likely to over carb your beer with this process.

Oh...and get a refrigerator for petes sake. ;)

HEHEHHEHEHE It's coming It's coming... vintage eletric motor fridge :)

Back