Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72526_10150100079761679_618021678_7383504_7851431_n.jpg

Not the best pic but they still look delicious.

I should have taken an after pic. The head retention was amazing and it left lacing all the way up the glass.

Great Recipe! I would like to try and brew this - although, I'd like to make 5 gallons of it (not the 6.5 as you had done!). Could I just scale EVERYTHING down? Thanks alot again!

Can someone help a n00b convert this to an extract recipe? I am wanting to brew this next week. Sounds like it is going to give me mouthgasms

I made this hop schedule and an Irish red malt bill, mostly maris otter. Did not dry hop. I lost the hops by using Nottingham dry yeast. Next time I will dry hop and use the correct yeast.

Thanks for the recipe

Brewed this up almost identically to recipe (that's a first). Just returned from travels, and it'd been in bottle a week. Tasted.

EXCELLENT.

I'll edit this post with pics later, but it's a very fine IIPA with just the right sweetness. The hops are fairly citrusy in this beer. Very nice. In a couple more weeks this baby will shine. Thanks Biermuncher!

if i wanted to use a liquid yeast (via starter)... which yeast would y'all (op?) recommend?

i THINK wyeast 1056 is the same yeast as the safeale, but wanted to double check.

thanks!!!

and how much of the s-05. the recipe calls for a "but load" LOL... is that one packet or more? hehehe

so i was going to brew this up this weekend and got to thinking that my 10gal mash tun might not be big enough...

this is my first all grain and while i know it has the water capacity for this much grain, i don't know how grain reacts with the water in terms of swelling and what not, nor do i know what 21lbs of grain even looks like volume wise, so was wondering if a 10gal MLT will do the trick?

EDIT: Nevermind... found this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

It's gonna be close!!! But it should work.

Getting off work early (right now)! Got a keg of all cascade IPA and another of Oatmeal stout on tap! Got everything to brew this bad boy up, pack of smokes.
Life is good!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm damn I love this brew, thanks biermuncher! I am about to finish my first batch and this is one I am DEFINATLY going to brew again immediatly

Hey guys,

Can someone help me construct a version of this recipe using the hops I have on hand? I am pretty new to this with only 14 batches under my belt. Six of them AG.
My list is below. I'd really like to try and work that Nelson and Falconer's in as i am a huge fan of Alpine's Nelson. Thanks in advance. I am not opposed to grabbing a few ounces off the original list, but I am trying to use some of this stuff up. Are there any good substitutions that jump out at you? Thanks in advance.

Pellets
Nelson Sauvin - 4 oz @ 12.4%
Liberty 3.5 oz @ 3 %
Cascade - 2.5 oz @ 6.5%
Fuggle - 2 oz @ 4.8%
Falconer's Flight 2 oz @ 10.5%
Styrain 1.8 oz @ 4%
Warrior - 1.1 oz @ 17.2%
Simcoe .9 oz @ 12.2%
Willamette .95 oz @
Magnum .25 @

I ended picking up most of the hops as called for. Will be substituting liberty for crystal and either the Nelson or Falconers for the Summit. Couldn't locate those two. Hope to brew it next weekend.

So, one more question. Are you targeting 6.5 gallons post boil knowing you will lose half a gallon to the hops and break material, or are you fermenting in something larger? My buddy and I are trying to figure this out. Are you pitching yeast onto 6.5 gallons or something more like 6 or 5.5 or lower?

Anyone help a noob out?

Can someone help a n00b convert this to an extract recipe? I am wanting to brew this next week. Sounds like it is going to give me mouthgasms

Here's what I've come up with.
I figured on doing a late extract addition for several reasons, one being that the bittering hops will be in there for a bit longer, and in my head that makes it better ;)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.84 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 132.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 35.1 %
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for15 min] Dry Extract 9 42.1 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.8 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 32.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 27.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 17.6 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 9.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 7.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 2.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Da Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14 -
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.0 %

The corn sugar goes into the boil pot at the time of sparging. Stir it up good before flame on so the sugar does sit on the bottom and scorch. :mug:

Just want to be clear, im brewing this today. The corn sugar will be in for the whole boil, right?

thanks.

Update- well brewed this up yesturday. My sg was 1.085 little under but only my 3rd ag, still learning my setup. Made a mistake, miss read the hop schedule and added the crystal addition in on the full 60min boil. I did everything else right so hopefully doesn't com out bad. It is happy and ferment away at 64.

Just want to be clear, im brewing this today. The corn sugar will be in for the whole boil, right?

thanks.

Update- well brewed this up yesturday. My sg was 1.085 little under but only my 3rd ag, still learning my setup. Made a mistake, miss read the hop schedule and added the crystal addition in on the full 60min boil. I did everything else right so hopefully doesn't com out bad. It is happy and ferment away at 64.

As long as the sugar gets up to a rolling boil, it doesn't really matter. You just want to be sure it is thoughly dissolved and blended with the remainder of the wort. There is no magic time limit though. :mug:

How will adding the crystal hops at the beginning of the boil effect my beer?

Well, doubling this recipe was really pushing what my Brew Magic could handle, but I got through with the primary beer at 14 gal 1.08 SG and produced 6 more gallons of a small beer at 1.048 SG . I have never made a small beer before, I just did a 30 mindays boil on the previously used hops, so it will be a fun experiment.

so, I did not add the corn sugar to this recipe. I completely forgot. How is this going to effect the flavor?

Question for any of you that run this in a SS keg single tier, any challenges with getting a stuck mash with a 10 gallon batch grain bill. I'm thinking that my rig may not be able to handle 36+ lbs of grain. Have any of you used rice hulls or other forms. I'm likely going to be under 36lbs since my target is 7.8% at 70-75 eff.

Question for any of you that run this in a SS keg single tier, any challenges with getting a stuck mash with a 10 gallon batch grain bill. I'm thinking that my rig may not be able to handle 36+ lbs of grain. Have any of you used rice hulls or other forms. I'm likely going to be under 36lbs since my target is 7.8% at 70-75 eff.

I use rice hull on all my recipes. Just makes the process smoother and actually helps my efficiency. I don't want to give a stuck sparge second thought...regardless of the recipe.

Not so much about weight as volume with rice hulls since the weigh next to nothing. For a normal five gallon batch I'd use may two of these.

SUAVE_2_saucepan.jpg

For your purpose, I'd recommend maybe four.

Just brewed this up using a cooler/BIAB method with a few changes to recipe:

Used WL001 (was rescuing an old strain for a week or so and threw it in instead of US-05)
LHBS didn't have amarillo or centenial so I subbed crystal and cascade for amarillo and chinook for the centennial
Only added 0.5LB corn sugar since I forgot to pick some more up at the LHBS.

Everything went great except I only finished at an OG of 1.072, probably due to the half pound of sugar missing. Also, warning to future brewers, this recipe has so many hops that you will lose a lot of wort to trub and **** after whirlpooling during the cooling stage. So plan on brewing the 6.5 gallon batch, as even though I aimed for 6.5 I only ended up with a little over 5.5 gallons from the cooled brew kettle.

Thanks for the recipe, really looking forward to it.

I just brewed this recipe as my third Imperial IPA, looking forward to it.

I scaled it a bit so it would be for 5.5 gallons though and because I'm lazy I left the hops at 1 oz each instead of scaling them to .85. We'll see how it works out. The wort tasted delicious!

Hit 1.075 most likely because I had a bit extra water and not enough corn sugar due to an order mix-up. No idea how the extra water happened considering the ridiculous amount the hops soaked up.

Either way, thanks for the recipe! Yeast took only ten minutes to start bubbling so she's all set. Can't wait!

Brewed last weekend, except I'm coming up with the opposite experience of others; My OG is at 1.090. If this ferments out as expected I'm looking at a 10% abv, which is pretty intimidating, especially for my first high gravity beer. I'm working without controlled fermentation and am keeping this in the mid-60's. The anticipation is killing me, but having a glass of Pliny tonight to toast the inspiration that brought about what is shaping up to be an amazing homebrew!

Tits-Up IIPA

Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 100.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 64.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

18.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (FWH)
1.00 oz Nugget [11.50%] (45 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (30 min)
1.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (10 min)

1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.25 oz Cascade [6.10%] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 14 days)

Mash at 153 for 90 minutes.

Pitch a butt load of Safale-50 slurry from a prior batch.

Looks crazy delicious!! Any recommendations on turning this into a partial mash recipe? Thanks!!

I just weighed out the grain for my Hard Nipples IIPA inspired by the tits up IIPA recipe. 31lbs of grain has definitely got me a little freaked. I'm conditioning the grain before I grind so I end up with hopefully a good grain bed and not a s$&t show. I'm thinking that I may be able to sparge the grain for a "small" beer to do pale ale style. Having never done that before, any recommendations? I am spending quite some time online right now prepping for this one.

Brewed this on my e-herms rig this morning. I killed it. Hit 80% brew house efficiency on a 70% recipe. I gained a full point and hit 1.091 on a goal of 1.08. I pitched wlp001 and the airlocks are bubbling within 4 hours of pitching. Oxygen is such a smart addition to the wort. Can't wait to drink this mutha

Couldn't wait and had this beer after only 3 wks in the bottle. WOW, it was freaking awesome. I did change the hop profile to bump it up to 100 IBU. Can't believe I have 10 gallons of this!!!

Update. Finished at 1.01 with 9 gallons so I adjusted it to 10 due to the high ABV. The color is gorgeous and it's currently force carbonating right now. I did pull a sample and it reminded me of long trail brewmaster double ipa in color and mouthfeel but I'm a bit disappointed in the hop profile. I will reserve judgement to when it's properly carbonated. Has anyone experienced something solar to this before? The sample was at 40.6 deg when I tasted it.

Side note : I brewed this same recipe but for 15 gallons and the numbers were spot on for an American IPA and it's fermenting und pressure now. I do look forward to putting these up against each other in a few weeks.

Back