Tried Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
Tried ST CB Stout today. Very good brew, very sweet, but taste like creme brulee....

not a fan of this stuff at all. flavors totally out of wack wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too sweet, and yes i know creme brulee it's going to be sweet but i found it sickeningly sweet. not balanced at all.

it's back?!!! sweet gotta look for it! i LOVE the stuff! Creme Brulee in a glass! Creme Brulee is sweet! enjoy it for what is is... a DESSERT BEER! pour it over french vanilla ice cream and some raspberries or peaches as a dessert! (i'm serious! it's awesome!)

i thought it tasted like very strong brewed french vanilla coffee with a butt load of sugar in it

I had one of these a few weeks ago. It's got to be one of the craziest beers I've ever tasted. It's like a desert in a bottle. I know people say it's too sweet and all, but the that's kind of the point...

I had one of these a few weeks ago. It's got to be one of the craziest beers I've ever tasted. It's like a desert in a bottle. I know people say it's too sweet and all, but the that's kind of the point...

It's Called Creme Brulee Stout for a reason! try it over a good vanilla ice cream! garnish with fruit! dessert in a glass!

Make a real Creme Brulee... reduce this beer down to a glaze in a small pot and drizzel over top! "waste" a 1/2beer to make glaze... drink other half while making! WOW!

The most impressive part is how they got the flavor of burnt sugar in the beer. Very cool. Other than that it is WAY too sweet, and is only good, as previously mentioned, on ice cream or any other type of dessert.

good to have 1 after a hard day work, or at end of a great meal, not both.... just before or after meal...can't do both... that makes the 6'r last a long time... If I ate Creme Brulee every day I'd be 900lbs... same with this beer.

Give it to a woman who says she doesn't like beer, I think she may change her mind! it is all beer!

Oof - way too sickly sweet. The aroma is almost overwhelming on it's own, but the brew itself was undrinkable. Appropriately named, however.

I brewed a clone of this recently and it's still in the fermenter (got the recipe from some old thread here). We'll see how it turns out, I love the original stuff!

Also I'm going to be visiting Southern Tier's Brewery soon as well.

IMO all of ST's stouts except Oat are too much. Especially since they are sold in 22s. I could probably drink them if I was only expected to do it 12 oz at a time!

I brewed a clone of this recently and it's still in the fermenter (got the recipe from some old thread here). We'll see how it turns out, I love the original stuff!

Also I'm going to be visiting Southern Tier's Brewery soon as well.

please tell me how this worked out for you and what recipe you used.

I tried this and loooved it. I would love to brew a clone.

Does this mean that Choklat will be here soon????!??!11

I bought a Choklat a couple of weeks back when I bought the Creme Brulee, but didn't like it as much. It's not as chocolaty as I'd expect given how sweet Creme was. I prefer the Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence or Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. I really want to try their Pumking.

I bought a Choklat a couple of weeks back when I bought the Creme Brulee, but didn't like it as much. It's not as chocolaty as I'd expect given how sweet Creme was. I prefer the Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence or Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. I really want to try their Pumking.

You'll get mixed reviews here but I think the Pumking is amazing. Remember, these are brewed different each year. My parents live 2 minutes from the brewery so I go there whenever I'm home visiting.

Last time I was there they told me that they have had a few years where the Pumking didn't turn out as expected. Last year though, it was like Pumpkin Pie with whip cream on top in a freaking glass.

They actually just released it tonight at the brewery but I haven't had a chance to try it. It will be in stores soon though.

They didn't bottle the Choklat last year (brewery was in the middle of an expansion and they only sent out kegs, unless you went directly to the bewery) so if you bought a bottle recently, it was likely almost 2 years old. Last year's was AMAZING!!! I got it twice in growlers from two different shops in NYC. Can't wait for this year's version...

Well, drank another tonight! Neighbor came over and wanted to try it. I have one left and one Mokah (SP). I haven't tried it yet... Can't wait to try Pumking.

Not an everyday beer, but something to savor ever once in a while.

please tell me how this worked out for you and what recipe you used.

I tried this and loooved it. I would love to brew a clone.

Here's the recipe I used which was dug up somewhere here (I'm still setup for extract at the moment):

Malt Extract:
9 lb Munton Light DME

Grains:
3.25 lb Dark Crystal

Hops:
1.00 oz Columbus (60 minutes)
1.00 oz Horizon (10 minutes)

Misc:
1.0 lbs Lactose (10 minutes before flameout)
4.00 oz Natural Vanilla Extract (at bottling)
1 Whirfloc Tablet (15 min)

Yeast:
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

I realize that all the dark crystal might make the taste a bit cloying, but this was more of an experimental batch since the ingredients were taken right from Southern Tier's site. Also I might cut down on that amount of Vanilla extract at bottling too. Hoping it turns out well!

Back