Anyone want to guess what this contraption is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CvilleKevin

Reaction score
Anyone recognize this contraption or want to take a guess on what it is, and what these guys are doing?

Contraption1.jpg

(hint - it was out at the orchard. It was really cool to see it in action - like some sort of steam punk apple machine)

Contraption2.jpg

I have an idea, but from this angle I can't tell if the guys are wearing their pants or not so I can't say for sure...

Wow - that was quick - yep, it peels and cores apples. It was crazy to see in action. These guys put an apple on a little cup that holds it. The weight of the apple makes the holder drop down and kick off a whole series of gears that swings the apple up next to a knife, spins it around to peel it, chunks the core out, and drops it into a chute. They are are going to use the apples for apple butter for a church fundraiser. They went through about 20 bushels in no time flat.

Wow! I'd love to see some video of that thing in action.

Darn, somebody already got it. I was going to guess one of those mechanical calculators they used to crack the German codes in WWII... I think they discovered the key code was "apfelwein"

Back