Air leak causing mold in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
I have a 5cu ft Holiday Chest Freezer for my corny kegs.
Use a Johnson Digital Temp Controller set to 38 degrees with the probe in a thermowell in a Gatorade bottle of water.
I have a Eva-Dry 500 to control moisture, but I'm still having problems with moisture and now a small bit of mold was spotted and cleaned thoroughly.
You can see in the pic how the temp probe is being fed into the freezer.
There is a small gap in the seal allowing air to enter and causing the moisture which is all on the top of the freezer only on the tops of the kegs and regulator.
Any advice on how to feed it in without a leak?

image-1117490103.jpg

image-92354866.jpg

image-2561530607.jpg

Feed it through the back of the lid. I run my gas, temperature probe and DC to fans through the lid adjacent to the feed for the interior light...
ab_jun_24_2011_12_sm.jpg

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Feed it through the back of the lid. I run my gas, temperature probe and DC to fans through the lid adjacent to the feed for the interior light...

Cheers!

What did you use to keep it sealed? A rubber gasket?
I don't have an interior light so I would have to drill through the lid

Anyone got any suggestions on where to drill into my chest freezer?
I have this one:http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-13247-LCM050LC_0__?productId=3294832

Is it safe to just drill straight through the back, say next to one of the lid hinges and then put a rubber grommet in there to seal it?
Or would it be better to drill down through the top of the lid?

My other thought is it bring it through the floor drain. I have some thick insulation foam I can plug the hole with and feed the cable right through it so it stays tight

Do not drill through the sides! You're nearly guaranteed to hit either an evaporator line (on the inside) or a condenser line (on the outside) as both loops encircle the cabinet. This is exactly why I drilled through the back of the lid!

The lack of an interior light changes nothing wrt going through the back of the freezer lid. I only even mentioned it in case you were wondering what the extra connections were for...

Cheers!

Worked out perfectly!
I went through the drain hole in the bottom.
I cut out two pieces of thick insulation foam and used a dremel to carve them so they would fit snug into the drain hole in the interior and on the outside. Drilled a small hole down the middle of each, detached the probe lead from the controller so I could snake it through the hole since the probe end won't fit through the 90degree turn the drain takes.
Pulled the wire through and the plugs are snug and air tight in the holes and now the lead has a nice tight seal.
And I took a computer fan, wired it to an old cell phone charger and have great circulation and even temperature distribution throughout the keezer. It was up to 8 degrees warmer at the top of the unit than the bottom where the probe is. The fan helps tremendously to distribute the cold air.

Back