Harvest Emergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalamson5368

Reaction score
Homebrewers!

Ive run into a bit of a dilemma with the Cascade Hops I'm growing, (for the first time).

First and foremost I'm living in Texas so ive been battling the heat all summer, but ive been doing ok, Got a few ounces of cones that i think are ready to go, but i'm still working on my drying process, (researching, setting up and doing that all around a crazy work schedule).

I'd like to get the hops i have on the vine off before they start to turn brown likes whats been happening to many of my leaves. If i do this, can i refrigerate them until i can dehydrate them with a fan or window screen? I don't think i want to buy a food dehydrator just for this.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Jack

Just pick 'em and lay them on a screen of some sorts with a fan blowing on them at least. Even if the humidity is too high in your location the breeze will help to carry the moisture away. The fridge will only trap the moisture. Get it done.

I agree, putting uncured hops in a fridge or freezer would be going in the wrong direction. The freezer will turn them into mush, and wet hops in the fridge could develop mold.

If you have a quiet room that gets warm in the heat of the day you could literally just lay out some newspaper and spread the hops out on them, and they'll dry within a couple/few days...

Cheers!

Get er' done is right. My Cascades which were so-so 2 days ago NEEDED to be picked tonight and I'll finish tomorrow, When they're ready, they're ready.

People go WAY overboard with drying devices. As mentioned, take a screen off your window, rest it between two saw horses or anything resembling that. Spread them in a thin layer and run a fan in the room. It doesn't even have to be blowing on or at the hops, just keep the air in the room moving. 2 days later, test to see if they are light and papery. You don't want to go as far as having them turn to dust when you squeeze, but it shouldn't feel moist at all.

Get a few cotton furnace filters. Bungie them to a box fan with the hops between the filters. Turn the fan on. That works great for every other herb I know of. Even the ones that have a tendency to cook in the food dehydrator... Then again, I am in Colorado. It's dry here almost all the time.

If you're in Texas, you probably have AC in your house. Put the hops on a screen, as mention, and place them near one of your cold air vents (register, wall mount, etc.). The dry air from the AC will do the trick. Depending on your location in Texas, it can feel like you're swimming through the air. Just setting them in the garage with ambient airflow may not get them done (it may get them started, but not finished).

In a pinch, I've even used a Dollar Store Laundry Bag, hung them up in my garage with a fan pointed at them. They dried just fine and made some decent beer as well.

Get a few cotton furnace filters. Bungie them to a box fan with the hops between the filters. Turn the fan on. That works great for every other herb I know of. Even the ones that have a tendency to cook in the food dehydrator... Then again, I am in Colorado. It's dry here almost all the time.

:off:
It also works really good for beef jerky, FYI :)

Back