Golden Rye IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbaddad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my rough draft of a Golden Rye IPA recipe that I am trying to put together. I would really like some feedback on the grain bill or suggestions on tweaking the hop additions. I have a pound of Nelson that I want to feature prominently, but also want to balance the Nelson punch with something else. I am thinking maybe Chinook or Willamette (maybe Tett?) to play of the spicey rye flavor. I would also dry hop, but want to narrow down the hops before proceeding. Obviously, Alpine's Nelson is an inspiration for this, but this does not intend to be a clone. Anyway, thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Other hops that I have on hand are:
Nugget, Willamette, Chinook, Perle, Mt. Hood, Columbus, Super Galena, Hallerteau (US), Tettnanger (US), Seribrianka

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast: Safale 04 slurry 2nd generation

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 1.7 %
23 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 77.3 %
4 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 13.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)Grain 4 4.2 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.4 %
2.00 oz Columbus - Boil 60. Hop 6 42.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus - Boil 30. Hop 7 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 29 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 39.19 qt of water at 163.1 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.09gal, 7.31gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Love Columbus... Love Nelson... I just brewed a Rye last night :mug: with Columbus, Tettnang, Amarillo, and Willamette so this is all good in my book. Tettnang does play nicely with Rye. I really like the Nelson hops and would like to experiment more with them, let me know how this turns out!

Thanks.

What were your hop addition times? I like the idea of adding Willamette and Tett to the party in some capacity. I have another IPA dry-hopping with Columbus, Nelson and Willamette so I want to see how that blend works.

I am actually splitting this recipe into two 6 gallon batches (two different boils) so I am most likely going to do two different hop schedules. The Nelson and Columbus will be involved, but I will use different aroma additions and dry hops. Someone on another board said Hallerteu combined really well with Nelson also. I could see that working and am intrigued by that combo with the rye.

Anyone else have ideas?

I used Columbus at 60min, and the rest in a blend at 15min and 0 min. I wasn't going for a hoppy beer so my additions are much less. When going for hoppy I start using additions more like what bobbrews' link shows. I am going to start doing more experimentation with hop additions during cool down (after flame-out). If you search there are a few threads talking about this right now. So that might be something to consider as well.

bobbrews - How did this turn out? I didn't see a date. Did you just brew this?

I will definitely check out the post boil hop addition threads. Can anyone point me the best ones right now? Isn't the wort basically cool by 30 minutes? It seems like a pre dry hop? Wouldn't this aroma dissapate and how would it be better than just dry hopping post fermentation? I guess I will need to read the threads.
I like how you added the simcoe and Sothern Cross there to balance out the Nelson. I have had some other beers besides Alpine's, that used too much Nelson or just Nelson and it was an overload.

Thanks

Didn't brew that one yet. I stopped putting dates because brewing became a bi-weekly project and I forgot a few dates here and there.

There is a lot of reading you can do in many posts on HBT regarding the benefits and processes of an aroma steep. Better to get some collective advice instead of believe the word of one person. Do some searching for those threads and make an educated decision. Here's one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/0-min-hops-how-long-338050/

Good luck on your Nelson Rye.

Right on. Thanks. I will most likely be brewing this in a week or so. I will post final recipes as they come together.

Still interested in any other feedback.

"Aroma Steep" is the proper nomenclature. I like it. Learned something new today.

Never updated this, but the above recipe was facorite of many of my friends. They have asked me to do it again so it is in the works.

Awesome, thanks for the reply back on how this turned out. I've brewed one rye IPA, but it wasn't up to par really. If this has passed the taste tests I'm all ears.

Hey vtec,

I just checked my last recipe and I moved the 30 minute addition to 20 and also dry hopped with Nelson. If you brew it, I would do that.

I think I am going to try doing whirlpool on this next time instead of the 5 and flameout additions. Cool to 180, then add the 2 ounces and wait 5-10 minutes before continuing chilling.

Let you know if it works.

Back