American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 5 oz of citra in the other day and was gonna brew this and then re read and saw there wasnt any citra... oops... But since I have them, where would be a good spot to put them during the boil? Thanx... cant wait

I got 5 oz of citra in the other day and was gonna brew this and then re read and saw there wasnt any citra... oops... But since I have them, where would be a good spot to put them during the boil? Thanx... cant wait

Little late on the response, but they could go anywhere I think.

Man, this went fast... EVERYONE loved it... Actually took it to a class reunion and the LBHS. They said I could keep it all there.. :)

bought ingredients for a 10g batch... I am almost out of beer....

Brewed a batch of this again last night, threw in another 2lbs of grain to make up for a little loss. Also did a Coffee stout... busy... busy

Can anyone convert this to a partial mash or extract for 5 or 5.5 gallon batch? I would be very happy!

I've done this batch 3 times now. Mash 1.25 lb carapils, 1.25lb crystal 40, .5 lb Munich. Beginning of boil add 6 lb light dme and 1lb amber dme. Don't be afraid to substitute hops like sorachi or citra. It always turns out great!,

Man, this went fast... EVERYONE loved it... Actually took it to a class reunion and the LBHS. They said I could keep it all there.. :)

bought ingredients for a 10g batch... I am almost out of beer....

Thanks. I'm overdue to make this again. I can do 10 gallon batches now, so I mine as well.:D

Would it be a big difference if I didnt add the oak chips? I forgot to order them whe nI got my ingredients.

I'd go ahead and brew without. It helps a bit but it's not going to ruin the beer without the oak. If you're not pleased, I'll take the batch off your hands.

Entered a competition with an IPA I brewed that was based off this recipe and I won first place in the Am. IPA sub category with an average score of 33. It would of done a lot better if it wasn't 4 months old at the time of the competition. Fermented on oak chips and I think it adds a lil something to the body of the beer but it will still be amazing without! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

O.p. what was the batch size on your original recipe? Or what was Target o.g. rather?

Assuming six gallon batch and 75% Eff the grain bill yields 1.079.

Thinking of brewing this sometime and just wanted to see what I was shooting for for o.g. in order to get it as close to your original .....

How long did you leave the oak chips in the primary? is 16 days of fermentation enough? Ive always read to let it ferment for at least 3 weeks. Also how did you sanitize the oak chips?

I brewed this about 12 days ago and just moved it to a secondary today. I tasted it before dry hopping and it tastes like an extremely strong and very tart grapefruit. Very tasty beer but I just wanted to make sure I got close to the op original beer. Did anyone else get similar grapefruit tastes before dry hopping? I'm very happy with the beer but was expecting more of an orange flavor.

yup... the Amarillo really gives it a kick... it will mellow with carbonation... This is currently our "go to" beer...

+1 I will be brewing a variation of this using chipped bourbon barrel with all Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Love that Simcoe punch!

Entered a competition with an IPA I brewed that was based off this recipe and I won first place in the Am. IPA sub category with an average score of 33. It would of done a lot better if it wasn't 4 months old at the time of the competition. Fermented on oak chips and I think it adds a lil something to the body of the beer but it will still be amazing without! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Awesome!! Glad you like the recipe.:mug:

Brewing this today, but I forgot to make a yeast starter. Will one Safale 05 packet work, or should I pitch two packets? Postboil gravity shows as 1.076 when I enter it into Beersmith. Thanks!

Lodovico said:
14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

I did it the second time and got the same great results again. I only let it sit on the oak for 14-17 days until I'm ready to package the beer. Dry hops were all added to the primary after 7 days or obvious fermentation had settled down.

This recipe is based on the Green flash West Coast IPA on the Brewing Network "Can you Brew It" show. I changed around the hop schedule and made some additions and I can't get enough of this beer.

I've brewed it twice now and it is extremely drinkable. I brew a lot of IPA's but this is by far my favorite. The aroma is SO orange and citrusy. That's why I'm being a dork and calling it fresh squeezed.

If you give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

Seems like a HUGE beer. What was your OG/FG?

We did this and added a little extra grain for our eff and ours came out around 1.081 and then 1.014... next time we did it it was 1.079, but finished around 1.030... we did some thing wrong... lol

Had too a coouple too many during the brewing process and forgot to take a gravity sample before pitching the yeast. ;-)

We ended up adding two packets, and it's fermenting away in the basement. Man, as a chronic airlock sniffer, this smells fantastic!! From what I researched, it seems like adding two packets won't hurt. But...I guess I'll know more after we keg and carb it in a couple weeks.

Man I brewed this Last Saturday and ended up with a 1.080 SG. Checked it today, Wednesday, and it's already down to a 1.009! This guy fermented fast! I tasted it and racked it to secondary. As you would assume, it tasted super strong but also very good. Thanks for the recipe!

BTW, i am doing this as a partial. Here are the changes i have made to the original recipe:

6# Pale 2 Row
8lb Pale LME OR 7LB DME

everything else is the same. for all of your future references, 1lb of whole grain = .75 LME or .66 DME

I brewed this yesterday and didn't realize until my FO addition I forgot to buy oak chips. OOPS! So now I'm thinking maybe I'll just add them to my secondary with my dry hopping. Thoughts??

I just brewed this one Sunday afternoon and today my ferment is running a little hot. With a beer like this one do you think that will have a negative effect? Also did you boil the oak before adding it or trust that it was clean? Following from that, if you did boil it, did you add the water that you boiled it in or stain it off?

Lodovico said:
14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

I did it the second time and got the same great results again. I only let it sit on the oak for 14-17 days until I'm ready to package the beer. Dry hops were all added to the primary after 7 days or obvious fermentation had settled down.

This recipe is based on the Green flash West Coast IPA on the Brewing Network "Can you Brew It" show. I changed around the hop schedule and made some additions and I can't get enough of this beer.

I've brewed it twice now and it is extremely drinkable. I brew a lot of IPA's but this is by far my favorite. The aroma is SO orange and citrusy. That's why I'm being a dork and calling it fresh squeezed.

If you give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

I may have missed it, but what yeast do you use with this?

I just brewed this one Sunday afternoon and today my ferment is running a little hot. With a beer like this one do you think that will have a negative effect? Also did you boil the oak before adding it or trust that it was clean? Following from that, if you did boil it, did you add the water that you boiled it in or stain it off?

I would not let this ferment out too hot as it is such a high OG, you might get some very alcoholy flavors. also, as for oak chips, i've never had a problem with simply putting them into the beer without sanitizing. then again, i have decided to not use any oak in this beer.

As for yeast, he says he used US-05. I personally am going to be using Wyeast American Ale II 1272 as it imparts citrusy flavors in the beer which, if you've read this thread at all, is kinda the idea of this beer.

Brewed. OG 1.081.... kinda high from 1.070. I contribute it to an accidentally higher mash temp. oooops!

oh well, it'll still be beer in the end.

*edit* so i realized after plugging this into beersmith, the estimated OG is actually 1.086. huuuuh???

Im brewing this right now and I ended up adding the cascade instead of the chinook for the 1st hops so I add an extra half oz of chinook at 30 min and jyst the rest of the casade when Im suppose and dont have the oak chips so Ill see what happens and should I add the oak chips tomorrow morning after my lhbs opens?

I've never had a beer absolutely take off as hard as this one before just to crap out after a few days. weird.

First time to brew all-grain for me. Also first time using BeerSmith. So I was all upset that I was so far off on my numbers - BeerSmith said this would be 1.091 but I ended up only at 1.073. Then I look here and it said 1.070 so I guess maybe I don't know how to work the program yet.

Looking forward to drinking this one.

Back