Need to convince myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
I am wanting to start doing electric brewing. I would like to start off with just an element in my HLT/BK and maybe expand from there. However, I need to justify the switch from propane. I was wondering if anyone had any cost figures for a brew day electrical use compared to propane for this type of basic set up. Just doing single infusions in coleman cooler tun then batch sparging.

Thanks!!

There are a lot of variables there... What size batches are you doing currently, what burner, etc. As for the electric side of things, how much power do you have access to (i.e. 240v, how many amps), what size elements are you considering?

Personally, I have a 240v/30amp Kal clone with 5500w camco ripple elements in both my hlt and bk. I believe there are threads providing the amount of time it should take to heat a given amount of water and the electrical consumption, but I can't find them at the moment. I can tell you that it is substantially faster. Further, I have not noticed any changes in my electrical bill and I brew almost weekly.

I do 5-10 gallon batches. I have access to both 110 and 220 lines but I'm not sure what burner or how many I need/want. I have tried to find threads about it but my search words always bring up so many off topic threads.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back