Where to buy SS flat stock online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
I am looking to buy about 5 feet of 1/2" SS flat stock anywhere between 16 and 12 gauge. I am using it to make brackets to mount some heat shields to a brew stand. Basically 4 brackets for 3 heat shields at 5 inches each. Hence 5 feet total. Shipping for a 5 foot piece is killing me. Yet the costs for 5 one foot pieces is killing me since the places online I am seeing charge a ton per cut. The cheapest I am finding is $40 shipped for 5' when the same place only charges $19 for a 12' piece locally.

Anyone know of a place that sells this stuff in small sizes that's not insanely expensive? Thanks all.

I am looking to buy about 5 feet of 1/2" SS flat stock anywhere between 16 and 12 gauge. I am using it to make brackets to mount some heat shields to a brew stand. Basically 4 brackets for 3 heat shields at 5 inches each. Hence 5 feet total. Shipping for a 5 foot piece is killing me. Yet the costs for 5 one foot pieces is killing me since the places online I am seeing charge a ton per cut. The cheapest I am finding is $40 shipped for 5' when the same place only charges $19 for a 12' piece locally.

Anyone know of a place that sells this stuff in small sizes that's not insanely expensive? Thanks all.

all online sources are too expensive, especially shipping charges, i would buy local since ALL of the online metal shops have a 100% markup over local prices.... i bought some 1" flat stock locally that would have cost 3x as much at speedymetals, onlinemetals and all of the others... and then you add in shipping costs the prices are not reasonable.
I can see if your looking for a special alloy or a special shape and nowhere locally has it or can get it then thats what they are good for.

I have yet to find a local place that will sell me a flat for less than stock size. I don't need a 12' piece for $35 is the problem.

I have yet to find a local place that will sell me a flat for less than stock size. I don't need a 12' piece for $35 is the problem.

You being in denver im sure there are a butt load of small job shops that will sell you small quantities, dont call the steel suppliers call welding shops, most steel suppliers sell by the 12,20 and 24' lengths and arent setup for selling small pieces, remember once they cut off 5' off of a 12' piece, they now have to sell a 7' piece.... job shops on the other hand have racks FULL of drop pieces that have been cut leftover from other jobs and will sell fairly cheap considering the job it was for paid for the entire piece. When i worked at a job shop and a job needed 6' of tubing, the bid included the price for an entire 20' piece because thats the only length we could buy. I would still rather pay $35 for an entire piece locally than $40 for a third of the material online...... take the extra and sell it or take it to the scrap yard and get $5 back in scrap price... Online theres no way you will find any piece of metal for under $20, shipping alone is going to be $15 minimum.....

Back