When is my cider ready to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneKasey

Reaction score
so my first batch of cider was finally crystal clear, it's been about 8 weeks, so i added the potassium sorbate or whatever, the chemical that stops fermentation, and i backsweetened it with tree top juice concentrate from the freezer, and now it's being force carbonated in the keg. So i was wondering if i still needed to let it age, i certainly can, but it is clear, very clear, so should i consider trying it next weekend? or should i wait another couple months? this is my first hard cider. i'm really excited, can't wait to start drinking it. i made it for my wife.

They say after 6 months in the bottles it tastes great. But I could never last that long! After 3 weeks + in the bottles it tastes great for me. But before 3 weeks it tastes like moonshine! it's funny how only a few days makes such a big difference!

You can drink it as soon as it tastes good to you. I prefer to let it age for at least 6 months but that's just where my tastes lie.

Back