Second brew, looking for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
I recently started the homebrew obsession, currently I have a nut brown ale in the fermenter for my first brew, and a kegging setup in my office taunting me that I cannot, as yet, draw any hoppy goodness from it. Next weekend (3/7) my fermenter will be free, and I want to jump right into my second batch. I have an idea of what might be, for me, the perfect beer; however, I cannot find a recipe that seems to fit the bill. Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

The perfect beer: Well for me the three best beers (commercial) that I have ever consumed would be Guinness Extra Stout, Mackisons Triple Stout, and to swap to the polar opposite Terrapin Rye Pale Ale. After months of research (prior to jumping into the hobby) I'm much intrigued by the mouthfeel properties of oats or oatmeal when brewing. So basically I'm looking for an extra/specialty grain recipe that has oats in it for the oatmeal stout mouthfeel, something with the chocolate malt body and complex flavors of Mackison's and Guinness, and finally adds in the hoppy edge of Terrapin. In otherwords, I'm looking for a very hoppy oatmeal-chocolate stout, or so I suspect. Can anyone point me in the right direction recipe wise? I'm not looking for AG at this point, just specialty/extract brew.

How about this from the recipe section:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/boondock-irish-stout-96675/

I would sub 1 of the 2 lbs roasted barley with .75 lbs chocolate and do 1 lb. flaked oats instead of .33lbs. of barley. The barley is more dry stout, the oats more ...well....oatmeal stout. Your choice really, but I wouldn't do both.

The finishing EKG hops will add the hop flavor you are looking for, the roasted barley the stout flavor and the chocolate the dark brown beer flavors....plus it already has a good history of being taste tested......gl!

Seems that you like stouts. Perhaps a porter would be a good NEXT step, or a milk stout.

even better... if you are still in extract brewing, try using a Partial Mash techinque on a stout you are familiar with. Kits are ok, as you will be able to taste, smell and see the differences in brewing . Learn.

My Grandfather said these wise words. " make what you want to drink. "
He was a British Merchant Marine Captain that taught me to make Gin. :cross:

It is unfortunately impossible to gain the benefits of flaked grains by simply steeping. You will end up with oatmeal, which is yummy, but what you want to take from the oats and put into the beer simply won't happen.

Luckily, mashing is easy! If you can steep, you can mash. All you need to do is read this thread and conquer your beer.

You can do this!

There are any number of all-grain and partial-mash stout recipes in the HBT Recipes section. If, after reading the above-linked thread, you still have questions, post them and we'll dive in to help.

Cheers,

Bob

It is unfortunately impossible to gain the benefits of flaked grains by simply steeping. You will end up with oatmeal, which is yummy, but what you want to take from the oats and put into the beer simply won't happen.

That was actually my next question, thanks for clarifying. Off to read the thread you linked.

edit: After reading that thread, I realized that with my steeping technique I'm 3/4 of the way there already. I steeped for 30mins at ~165-170, strain into wort pot, pour water that has just come off the boil a few mins ago (180-200deg) through it.The only two things I need to add are: drop temp another 10-15degrees and give it a bit longer, and then instead of pouring hot water through it, basically give it another soak for 10mins or so. Does this sound correct?

Here's a good & malty & cheap porter (around 22 bucks when I buy everything at LHBS). Change as you see fit.

Specialty grains (steep 30 min at 150)
3/4 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Black Patent Malt
1/4 lb Carapils

Base Grains (extract):
6lbs extra light LME (single addition)

Other:
1 oz UK Kent Golding pellet hops (60)
2 ea whirlfloc (15)
US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

Procedures as normal.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but the topic of dark hoppy beers has been somewhat discussed here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/black-ipa-first-beer-ever-dumped-95704/ and while it is not impossible by any means, it is a very challenging genre. I recommend brewing safe bets for your first few beers to build confidence and also have some drinkable homebrew in the event of a failed experiment. One interesting thing to try would be to brew a standard IPA and color it with a product like Sinimar coloring agent by Weyermann. It's made from malt and bumps the color of a beer up by 16SRM per 4oz bottle added to 5gal but doesn't bring the bitterness. Some people may not like simply adding a coloring agent to their beer, but do not underestimate the influence of perception on taste. That's my .02

That was actually my next question, thanks for clarifying. Off to read the thread you linked.

edit: After reading that thread, I realized that with my steeping technique I'm 3/4 of the way there already. I steeped for 30mins at ~165-170, strain into wort pot, pour water that has just come off the boil a few mins ago (180-200deg) through it.The only two things I need to add are: drop temp another 10-15degrees and give it a bit longer, and then instead of pouring hot water through it, basically give it another soak for 10mins or so. Does this sound correct?

You need to add some base malt to your steep so that you have enzymes to convert the starches from the oats to sugars. Otherwise, you've basically got it.

While the true conversion does not happen as with mashing, I think steeping flakes oats provides good mouthfeel to beers. Some conversion takes place as well, just not a high %.

When you steep oats, you're just adding oat flour to the wort and if you don't have a source of enzymes you'll get no conversion.

Hummm steep oats, pitch bugs and have a sour oatmeal stout.......
idea.gif

i haven't brewed it but midwest has an oatmeal stout kit:

Product Description:
Oatmeal Stout. This Stout has more body than our Irish Stout. This kit is smoother, slightly sweeter, and has a clean, roasted, malty flavor and “chewy texture” from the oats. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Rolled Oats, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz. of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Updated 2008 catalog price.

Oatmeal Stout w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Check out my sig: the Bottle os Oatmeal Stout link is an excellnt, excellnt brew. I just submitted it to competition that will be judged on Saturday. I can't wait!

So then, based on reading the thread on Dark IPAs, it seems the consensus would be going crazy and brewing an IPA with Dark Malt Extract instead of light would be a bad idea.

So then, based on reading the thread on Dark IPAs, it seems the consensus would be going crazy and brewing an IPA with Dark Malt Extract instead of light would be a bad idea.

Well is brewing anything EVER really a bad idea?

Experimenting can be really fun but it's even more fun to make sure you can brew two good batches in a row!

Back