Grain Mill broke at store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so yesterday I go and get 14lbs of grain and they will mill it for free. The miller breaks after the first 1/2 so now I have 13.5lbs to mill at home. It takes 1hour and 15 minutes 1 way to get to this store so I did not want to come away empty handed. Anyone have any ideas how to mill this at home. I have looked at grain mills but they are expensive and I am unsure what one to buy. Plus I need this milled by Saturday so I can brew. Thanks for the help!

Tom

That is the only shop with in 2 hours from me one way. It is a sad sad day!
I don't think I do well enough with the rollong pin. It looks far more cracked after going through a miller than rolling a pin over it in a plastic bag.

I like the corona mills. IMO the work well and the price can't be beat. The one below is in western Mass.

Molino Corona Corn/Grain Grinder - eBay (item 270284210746 end time Oct-13-08 17:40:07 PDT)

Heavy Duty Cast Iron Corn Grain Coffee Grinder Mill - eBay (item 220293262471 end time Nov-09-08 18:29:33 PST)

I like this one as the grinding plates are covered.
landers coffee, corn mill unique stone grinder old farm - eBay (item 120316857504 end time Oct-21-08 20:00:00 PDT)

Thread a bolt into the crank shaft and attach a beefy drill, viola a power mill. Look for a corn grinder locally and brew on!

Good luck!

Get a mill designed for crushing barley malt. Go buy some good ale such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale until the mill arrives.

Great choice on buying the Barley Crusher. It's one of the most popular malt mills on the market and for good reason. Do a quick search and you'll see thread after thread with nothing but praise for it. You won't regret it.

Great choice on buying the Barley Crusher. It's one of the most popular malt mills on the market and for good reason. Do a quick search and you'll see thread after thread with nothing but praise for it. You won't regret it.

While you're at it, tell your homebrew shop to get a barley crusher too :D

You really should just wait and order a real mill. The "barley crusher" is great.

Is my corona mill a figment of my imagination? Have you ever used one, because I get a great crush and great efficiency. Doesn't take me very long either. Oh, and it was only twenty dollars.

I used a hammer and a ziplock bag to crush a lbs of malt once. What a PITA. And that was just 1 lbs.

My first AG I had 3 guys spend 3 hours with rolling pins crushing grain. After that I said we werent brewing again until we got a mill. We ended up getting one 3 days later. The Crankandstein has a pretty cheap model. CrankandStein 2S

Is my corona mill a figment of my imagination? Have you ever used one, because I get a great crush and great efficiency. Doesn't take me very long either. Oh, and it was only twenty dollars.

First- chill out.

Second - I used a corona mill for years and it didn't give nearly the quality of crush that I now get.

My barley crusher is the best brew toy I ever got.

You must have taken what I said the wrong way, I was joking with you, seeing as how a corona mill is a REAL grain mill, I was trying to get you to explain what the difference is. I assumed you hadn't used a corona, my mistake. Maybe if you explained in what ways the quality improves you could convince me to get a real mill too ;)

First- chill out.

Second - I used a corona mill for years and it didn't give nearly the quality of crush that I now get.

My barley crusher is the best brew toy I ever got.

Used my corona mill today, as always the crush seemed perfect to me, large pieces of husk present for filtering, all grains crushed w/ none intact, interior of grain fractured into smaller pieces, some flour but not excessive, sparged real well through my braid.

What is quality of crush? Please help me here.

OK so yesterday I go and get 14lbs of grain and they will mill it for free. The miller breaks after the first 1/2 so now I have 13.5lbs to mill at home. It takes 1hour and 15 minutes 1 way to get to this store so I did not want to come away empty handed. Anyone have any ideas how to mill this at home. I have looked at grain mills but they are expensive and I am unsure what one to buy. Plus I need this milled by Saturday so I can brew. Thanks for the help!

Tom

You may find this interesting - great idea for a short-term solution.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum :: View topic - poor woman's grain grinder

You must have taken what I said the wrong way, I was joking with you, seeing as how a corona mill is a REAL grain mill, I was trying to get you to explain what the difference is. I assumed you hadn't used a corona, my mistake. Maybe if you explained in what ways the quality improves you could convince me to get a real mill too ;)

ok - fair enough.

I do think that the barley crusher does a much better job than corona mills. I saw my efficiency go up by 15% without any noticeable tannin increase when I did. Also - the hopper is much larger (actually I wish it were even larger - I saw someone on a thread cut the bottom off a plastic carboy and inverted it into the original hopper).

I know that papazian said that he still uses a corona mill however it is IMO much more difficult to get the consistent crush with barley of various types (i.e. pils vs. chocolate malts) with a corona mill.

Back