My two-coil chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
The outside coil is 25' of 1/4" refrigeration copper, the inner coil 20' of the same. The input fittings are a garden hose connector threaded to a 1/2" pipe nipple, going into a 1/2" pipe tee. Each end of the run of the tee has a 1/2" to 1/8" pipe reducer with a 1/8" pipe to 1/4" compression elbow.

chiller3.jpg

My soldering isn't nearly as pretty as Bobby_M's, but the design is based on his.

-Joe

And I was just thinking how I need to speed up the chilling process after waiting over half an hour to pitch tonight.

I like it. I'll have to make use of this time while my buckets are full and take a shot at something like that.:mug:

ohhh so the thingee on the right is where the hose hooks up, and the hoses on the left are both hot water outputs! Very nice.

How much did this cost you in parts, if you remember?

ohhh so the thingee on the right is where the hose hooks up, and the hoses on the left are both hot water outputs! Very nice.
Yep. These pix should clear things up. I decided to hook it up indoors instead of shlepping out my outdoor hose. I picked up a 25' hose coil at my local hardware store. I figure this will also be great if I want to put a bucket of ice water in the sink. I can just drop the coil right in for instant pre-chiller.

chiller_overview.jpg

Here's a closeup of the quick disconnect and tee fittings.

chiller_hookup.jpg

The nice thing is with the quick disconnect I can just pop the hose sprayer back on for cleaning pots and carboys.

sink_hose.jpg

EvilTOJ said:
How much did this cost you in parts, if you remember?
The 20' coil was $18. The rest of the copper was from my plumber brother, so I don't know what the parts cost.

The blue hose with sprayer was $18, the sink to hose adapter I think was $5, and the set of quick disconnects was $6.

Thanks for the kind words, all! I'm very pleased with the result and can't wait to brew with it. I tested it out when I just had the outside coil soldered up and the results were very encouraging.

-Joe

Latest posts

Back