Basement Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not set up to have homebrew on tap (yet) but I like drinking them here.

image-4213840922.jpg

What's up with the Bud and Miller signs!!! Just kidding, looks great. Well stocked up on liquor too it looks like. I'm not sure I would ever leave the basement

The oak bar is bad a$$ for sure. Adding a home brew setup will be a blast to design and install. Good luck bud.

bobbrewedit said:
The oak bar is bad a$$ for sure. Adding a home brew setup will be a blast to design and install. Good luck bud.

I have a ****ty old kegerator (I think you can see it tucked away at the end of the bar). It's looking bad and in bad need of sanitizing (hasn't been used in nearly 10 years). I'm not especially handy but I think I can add an oak top with multiple taps and pant the sides and make it work. I hope I can get two corney kegs in it but I've never kegged. Baby steps.

Thanks.

Or...I could remove the dishwasher (rarely used) and see if I can fit the kegerator into that slot. I could then just drill tap holes through the countertop and have it drain through the old dishwasher drain system.

All of these ideas will require some selling to the wife.

Now my mind is formulating a plan. I never thought about it until just now. With my old kegerator and the set up for the dishwasher I can probably turn this into a taproom pretty damn cheap. Probably need to move the switch and outlet but other than that...

image-346494777.jpg

Yeah, well there is always the hurdle known as wife, that's a whole other thread! With a room that nice, I would take my time, spend the cash and do it right. I probably wouldn't ditch the dishwasher, you might not use it, but its a good selling point down the road. Replace the nasty keezer and run a tap tower centered in the front bar...that's my vote!

bobbrewedit said:
Yeah, well there is always the hurdle known as wife, that's a whole other thread! With a room that nice, I would take my time, spend the cash and do it right. I probably wouldn't ditch the dishwasher, you might not use it, but its a good selling point down the road. Replace the nasty keezer and run a tap tower centered in the front bar...that's my vote!

You don't think a 2-3 faucet tower would look good centered over the dishwasher currently sits would look good? That would be a awfully inexpensive way to go

The tower would look great, but I can't imagine the kegerator is going to fit nice and snug in the same hole. Guess you could add trim boards to each side of the existing cabinets to close whatever gaps you end up with.

I wouldn't sweat the drain add either, mine drips so little that a quick wipe once in a while is all it takes...unless if course you want one of the taps to be water.

The other cool thing about the tower being in the bar side is you could pour without ever getting up from those nice chairs!

Actually, the fridge is the exact same dimensions as the dishwasher...exact. Problem is that I would need to use 3 gallon corny kegs because its not tall enough for the 5 gallon. That kind of sucks but I could still do 5 gallon batches and bottle 2 gallons. I think I can get 3 of the 3 gallon kegs in there with C02.

Actually, the fridge is the exact same dimensions as the dishwasher...exact. Problem is that I would need to use 3 gallon corny kegs because its not tall enough for the 5 gallon. That kind of sucks but I could still do 5 gallon batches and bottle 2 gallons. I think I can get 3 of the 3 gallon kegs in there with C02.

That sounds like a great option. If you don't like it down the road you can change it with very little initial investment loss. Throw up some pics when u get it going.

bobbrewedit said:
That sounds like a great option. If you don't like it down the road you can change it with very little initial investment loss. Throw up some pics when u get it going.

That's my thinking. I'll only really have the cost of the tower ($400-$600) into it plus the loss of the dishwasher, which is rarely used (there's another one upstairs). Of course, I'll have to spring for the 3 gallon corny kegs (which don't look cheap) and the hardware to get the C02 working on three kegs...but those are costs I'll have no matter how I set up a tap system. Main downside, in my mind, is 3 gallon rather than 5. But I go RVing a lot so it might be nice to have some brew still in the bottles.

Well, for that matter, u could always switch to brewing 3 gallon batches too, if you decide to skip the bottling on a batch. The 3 gallon kegs are expensive. I would like to add one to my list, but for the money I always find something I want more. I've got a bar build going on as well, but I'm still about 6 months out from starting. I'll put up a pick when it gets going.

bobbrewedit said:
Well, for that matter, u could always switch to brewing 3 gallon batches too, if you decide to skip the bottling on a batch. The 3 gallon kegs are expensive. I would like to add one to my list, but for the money I always find something I want more. I've got a bar build going on as well, but I'm still about 6 months out from starting. I'll put up a pick when it gets going.

Good deal.

Back