Any good website for kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTimer

Reaction score
I always loved GT's and was disappointed it went away. I've been brewing beer for a while now and just happened to notice kombucha had its own forum here. Is there any step by step websites, similar to palmer's how to brew web book, but for kombucha?

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Any thoughts on bottling practices? I like mine somewhat fizzy, should I cap it in beer bottles or am I just gonna make a bomb? I know my LHBS has plastic bottles with caps for home made root beer although I prefer glass. What does everyone use?

i'm still trying to figure out the carb thing with kombucha. i used glass bottles and batch primed my gallon just like i would beer (3 tbp honey) and got very little fizz. i think most people put a little fruit juice or tiny piece of candied ginger in each bottle to get the fizz going..... also, this new batch i'm making was steeped with some cascade hop pellets i needed to get rid of. should be interesting...

Now that sounds awesome. The only thing I'm wondering about is the oils from the hops, from what I've read lots of people seem to think oils, usually from herbal teas, hinder the growth and fermentation. Be sure to post how turns out, I'm really curious.

just tasted my hopped kombucha... pretty great!
i steeped a small handful of columbus pellets with the teabags for 15 minutes (all in a hop bag for easy removal) and then followed the usual process. in no way (that i can tell) did using hops inhibit the mother's growth... this batch produced a beautiful daughter that i'm already using for my next kombucha. i'll definitely try this again...

I usually just go by adding a good layer of chopped dried fruit, i preferr blueberries and ginger and for some reason so does my kombucha when bottle priming. Although i have been experimenting with agave and coconut palm sugar and honey. The more complex the sugar the longer it will take, pretty much.so you could add a very small amount of sugar. I havent had any problems with overcarbing with fruit given a weeks time, i normally use 1-2 tblsp. per 16 oz bottles 1.5-3 tblsp per 22 oz bomber, then cap @80ish deg for a week.
To littlelord, i would be carefull of doing that all the time because of the oils, the way i see it is it may be ok to use teas with oils only occasionally but have always been advised against any teas with oils.

Back