Should I re-hydrate my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
I've heard both yes and no, but is there some sort of guidance on this? Does it depend on the style?

I've heard both yes and no, but is there some sort of guidance on this? Does it depend on the style?

I've wondered the same thing; FWIW I did not rehydrate and both of my fermentations have gone fine. Just seems to simplify the process.

There is usually more than enough dry yeast in 1 package to ferment your wort. If you do not rehydrate, you could be killing off half your yeast. There may still be plenty in there to finish the job, and there may not. IMO, rehydrating dry yeast is easy and I have had much better results since I started rehydrating.

I know it makes more sense to rehydrate, and it is easy, but I've found it still works 100% of the time I pitch dry. I am not arguing for it, just saying that if you've already pitched you'll be ok.

So really there is no reason not to. I've only done one batch so far and I did in fact rehydrate the yeast. On fermentation day 11 and all seems well

Before dry yeast cells can start fermenting , they need to absorb the water they lost during the drying Process and

the most important objective is to reduce the lag phase .

Hector

Before dry yeast cells can start fermenting , they need to absorb the water they lost during the drying Process and

Hector

+1 I think it's just good practice to always rehydrate, but of course it will most likely still work if you don't. Here is a bit on the subject. And to answer the OP's other question, no it doesn't matter what style beer you are doing.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

It's especially good to rehydrate,or make a small starter, when using the smaller yeast sachets. Like cooper's ale yeast,it's only like 7g. They go to work faster & more vigorously,ime. I just think at least re-hydrating wakes up the yeast real nice,& def reduces lag time.

Hector

Well sorta.... Here is a quote from Palmer

"Preparing Dry Yeast
Dry yeast should be re-hydrated in water before pitching. Often the concentration of sugars in wort is high enough that the yeast can not draw enough water across the cell membranes to restart their metabolism. For best results, re-hydrate 2 packets of dry yeast in warm water (95-105°F) and then proof the yeast by adding some sugar to see if they are still alive after de-hydration and storage."

I think this example is talking about the small packs, that is why he says to use two.

Well sorta.... Here is a quote from Palmer

"Preparing Dry Yeast
Dry yeast should be re-hydrated in water before pitching. Often the concentration of sugars in wort is high enough that the yeast can not draw enough water across the cell membranes to restart their metabolism. For best results, re-hydrate 2 packets of dry yeast in warm water (95-105°F) and then proof the yeast by adding some sugar to see if they are still alive after de-hydration and storage."

I think this example is talking about the small packs, that is why he says to use two.
That's the old Palmer, he has changed his tune and now goes by the manufacturers recommendations. No proofing and that temp is warmer than usually recommended.
Check Safale or Danstar websites.

I had this same argument so many times before in favor of re-hydrating or small starters for dry yeast. I never took the small starters longer than 3.5hrs. It was more than enough at 1 1/2C to get one 7g cooper's yeast sachet to try blowing the lid off the fermenter by 7am. So yes,it def works. Been there,seen that.

I have a handful of brews done and have used dry yeast on all but one. I've never rehydrated or made starters, and have never had a problem. Sure it's not hard to rehydrate, but it is time and effort that appear to me to be wasted. Oh and for the one liquid yeast i used, i didn't make a starter, and that wasn't a problem either.

I have a handful of brews done and have used dry yeast on all but one. I've never rehydrated or made starters, and have never had a problem. Sure it's not hard to rehydrate, but it is time and effort that appear to me to be wasted. Oh and for the one liquid yeast i used, i didn't make a starter, and that wasn't a problem either.

Yeah, it might not be a problem, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I think the point is that it is a good habit. If you can do something that isn't too hard to do, it produces good beer, and there is a chance (however small it may be) that if you didn't do it your beer would have an off-flavor or be less than the best beer you can make, why not take the extra few minutes to do it? Since you have only done it without a starter and without re-hydrating, you don't really have anything to compare it to. Perhaps if you had re-hydrated or made a starter, your beer would have turned out even better.

Hard to go wrong following the manufacturer's instructions.

Either way you'll get beer, but your goal should be perfection in your process. That's how you become the best possible brewer.

Hard to go wrong following the manufacturer's instructions.

Either way you'll get beer, but your goal should be perfection in your process. That's how you become the best possible brewer.

Good point - I've mostly used Safale US-04 and US-05 - Fermentis suggests either rehydrating or pitching dry:

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the
yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes
and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration."

I rehydrate. Here's how.

1. during the mash, I put about half cup of water into a tupperware sandwich container, with lid loose. Microwave 1.5 minutes (slight boil).
  2. Forget about it for a while
  3. once I start cooling my wort, I go to the microwave, remove the container, and dump dry yeast in
  4. when wort is cool and transfered to carboy, pour creamed yeast into carboy
Easy peezy. Why not?

I rehydrate. Here's how.

1. during the mash, I put about half cup of water into a tupperware sandwich container, with lid loose. Microwave 1.5 minutes (slight boil).
  2. Forget about it for a while
  3. once I start cooling my wort, I go to the microwave, remove the container, and dump dry yeast in
  4. when wort is cool and transfered to carboy, pour creamed yeast into carboy
Easy peezy. Why not?

So, how long do you re-hydrate for?? 20 to 30 minutes?

Thanks,
E

I rehydrated a couple of times.....then didn't. Couldn't tell any difference, so now I don't. This is most always using US-05 or Nottingham.

What type of time are you talking about for lag? What's good? What's bad?

I can mention at least two advantages :

1- By rehydrating , you prove the viability of the Yeast .

2- By reducing the Lag time , you reduce the chance of taking the action by Bacteria .

Hector

Just pour on top, and walk away.
Munich about 6 hours in

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back