BIAB draining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head7l

Reaction score
What techniques do you guys use to drain the wort from BIAB? I spin it to create pressure on the grains, but how long are you supposed to wait?

For my last 2 batches I have been super high on my grain absorption and my gravities have been way high (1.086 when it should have been 1.052). My mash temps have been good and I mashed in w/ 1.5 qt per lb.

Just curious if anyone has some good ideas or has conquered this beast.

What techniques do you guys use to drain the wort from BIAB? I spin it to create pressure on the grains, but how long are you supposed to wait?

For my last 2 batches I have been super high on my grain absorption and my gravities have been way high (1.086 when it should have been 1.052). My mash temps have been good and I mashed in w/ 1.5 qt per lb.

Just curious if anyone has some good ideas or has conquered this beast.
I do the spin, & hold the bag for a couple minutes. Then I set the bag in a colander that is sitting over the top of my bottling bucket. Just before my kettle gets to a boil, I dump the rest of the wort that has drained from the bag.

For regular brews I just lift it and let it drain a couple of minutes before dropping in the sparge bucket.

For big grain bills that I don't want to hold that long, I put the bag inside the steamer basket that came with my pot, with a couple of wooden slats running across the top of the pot to set the basket on.

I bought a grill grate that I can put over the kettle. Unattended, it will not keep the grain from spreading out to drain outside the kettle, but it does take the weight while I am twisting and waiting for the bag to drain.

I might try to rig up some kind of skyhook in the future, as I could leave that to drain on its own. The colander in a bucket also sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back