spoiled 1st brew? =(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennethm

Reaction score
I made my first brew 6 days ago a Muntons Wheat extract. It stoped boubling and I have checked the S.G. three times on three different days and its stayin at 1012 from an O.G. of 1046. The temp has varried from 60 to 68 degrees, and i check the temp 3 times a day. I tasted each sample that I took for the S.G. and it tasts really green. I know its not gonna tast exactly right untill its bottle conditioned but is it supposed to tast sooo green? Any help would be very appreciated.

Spoiled? 100000% No.... it's been 6 days. That means the main fermentation has been done for 1-3 days (or is even still going.) Let the yeast do their thing, they need to clean up after themselves. They've been doing this without you for millions of years. Let the beer sit on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks and then bottle. It'll be fine.

RDWHAHB

I racked it to the secondary this morning =( is that goin to have a negitave affect on it?

Too often we want to rush things. This is not work. It is not school. It is not getting dinner on the table for four people, two of whom work, the others under the age of five, on a Wednesday night.

We make beer. It takes time.

You have make great beer, and given time, it will be better.

Spoiled? 100000% No.... Let the yeast do their thing, they need to clean up after themselves. They've been doing this without you for millions of years. RDWHAHB

how true. but sometimes i can't help thinking im in there muddling with nature. i mean its hard not to molest and provoke the little guys when they start getting tired.

everytime you have a nasty batch, hide it for a month or two and try it again. 9 out of 5 times it will be a different (and better) beer.

6 days is a little early. try 10-14 days if you are going to secondary. if not, and an avg ale, give it 2-3 weeks in primary then bottle or keg.

The first is always the toughest to let alone..I let mine sit in the primary for atleast 3 weeks. Give it some time and it will be great..

I made my first brew 6 days ago a Muntons Wheat extract. It stoped boubling and I have checked the S.G. three times on three different days and its stayin at 1012 from an O.G. of 1046. The temp has varried from 60 to 68 degrees, and i check the temp 3 times a day. I tasted each sample that I took for the S.G. and it tasts really green. I know its not gonna tast exactly right untill its bottle conditioned but is it supposed to tast sooo green? Any help would be very appreciated.

I'm gonna recommend you try one at two weeks in the bottle then three weeks . You will get a good idea how the flavor comes together during conditioning.

I racked it to the secondary this morning =( is that goin to have a negitave affect on it?

No but it will take away some of the wheat haziness that is part of the style. I only secondary a beer I want clear or to dryhop

I agree the 1st beer is the hardest to leave alone. Now i just brew'em put them in the carboy and a swamp cooler with a aquarium heater and forget about them for a couple weeks.

On that first one i must have checked on it every hour when i was home :)

RDWHAHB and start thinking about what you want to brew next.

Just as a "time will make it better" example:

I recently brewed a pumpkin porter. Pulled a gravity sample after a week in secondary and tasted it. There was a huge banana flavor, levels I've generally seen in hefeweizens.

Waited another week (had been planning on two weeks in secondary anyway) and the banana flavor is gone, or gone far enough that I can't tell. A friend who hates that flavor says there's still a bit, but it still needs to condition.

Going to crack the first bottle tonight after three weeks carbing and see how it tastes.

Back