Target OG 1.100, actual OG 1.150????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
I think I got way too much extract or grain in my recipe from AHS. I am doing their Cannonball Stout and I can't believe how far off my OG is. 1.150 is freakin high and I'm not sure I should pitch the yeast or pour out some and back fill with water.

What am I to do?

I think I got way too much extract or grain in my recipe from AHS. I am doing their Cannonball Stout and I can't believe how far off my OG is. 1.150 is freakin high and I'm not sure I should pitch the yeast or pour out some and back fill with water.

What am I to do?

have you calibrated you hydrometer? and make sure that your sample is the correct temp - let it cool before you take your reading

I hope your gravity is not that high - you could almost cut it into two batches. But if you over extracted that much I would thing you took a ton of tannins with it

Are you sure you mixed the wort properly? Often, top-off water doesn't get mixed in completely, and so you can get really screwy readings. But that does seem really high. What was the recipe?

Are you sure you mixed the wort properly? Often, top-off water doesn't get mixed in completely, and so you can get really screwy readings. But that does seem really high. What was the recipe?

The mixing did it. At least mostly. After shaking it up it was 1.110. I'll take it. The recipe was AHS Cannonball Stout.

you give us the amount of extract and total volume and we'll give you a S.G w/o a hydrometer.

Well the recipe called for 11 lbs dark liquid extract + 4.9lbs grains + .5lbs malto-dextrin. The volume is 5.25 gallons. The recipe says target is 1.100. After mixing it up I got 1.110.

Did you mash or steep the grain?

... it appears you mashed, in which case there are way more factors and it's not as simple as you put x amount of sugar in X amount of water.

Back