Long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyvilla

Reaction score
I made a scotch ale the other day and I was wondering about aging it. I plan to rack it to a glass carboy and let it sit in a basement fridge, air locked for 3-4 months. I know I will have to re-pitch yeast to prime once its done, but are there any other considerations I should be aware of?
Thanks

Any real reason why you are deciding to bulk age the beer instead of getting it bottled and then aging? Either way will work, but I find it easier to just get it out of the primary/secondary and into bottles for aging. The box of bottles can be stored away in a corner of your basement and will keep just fine.

Have a batch of Saison that I was planning on aging for a while. Decided against bulk aging and went with aging in the bottles instead. I'm glad I did. Frees up your carboy for the next batch too!

Cornie kegs are great for aging, even if you don't have a kegger. Light-tight, unbreakable, no airlock to keep filled, and cheaper than a carboy.

was it made as an ale, or a lager? cuz lagering an ale just isn't really necessary.
crash cooling for a week to get the yeast to drop out...sure.

but 2-3 months seems like a complicated solution to a non-existent problem.

I like the idea mentioned about ageing in bottles - I tend to find that ageing is accelerated when under pressure, that is, in the bottle; the yeast also drop out more quickly.

Still, haven't been able to afford those handmade oak barrels yet ... to make a fair comparison:D

YeastGardener.

BTW 3-4 months ageing - what strength beer are you brewing?

SG was 1.10, so its the biggest thing I have brewed. I sort of followed a mostly grain recipe substituting extract due to size limitations. the original called for aging at 35 degrees for 3 1\2 months, so I figured I would give it a try. I racked a pale ale I had using half of that cake for the scotch, and was blessed with strong activity within hrs. cold storage in bottles sounds good to me.

Back