Gas vs. Liquid Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know that grey is for gas and black is for beer. But the stupid LHBS that I ranted about in the "General" forum seems to have given me two black disconnects for my first keg.

Do I have to go back there to exchange it for a grey one for gas, or is it more of a color thing just to keep track of which is which?

Time to go rant about the LHBS some more. They are different and if you use the wrong one in the wrong spot, they can get stuck.

Never had this problem with pin locks. It fits or it doesn't.

Not sure why pin locks got labeled the "betamax" of kegs but they are my choice and what I use.

Not sure why pin locks got labeled the "betamax" of kegs but they are my choice and what I use.

I use ball locks, simply because the kegs and fittings are more readily available. But in a previous life, I was the beverage manager for a large private park (think corporate picnics, buying kegs of syrup hundreds at a time) and the day we switched from Coke to Pepsi products was a dark day indeed. The pin locks were MUCH easier to deal with.

I started with pin-locks and liked them but they are shorter and fatter than ball-locks so in order to fit more kegs in my keezer I had to go to ball-locks. I use the pin-locks for secondaries now.

Time to go rant about the LHBS some more. They are different and if you use the wrong one in the wrong spot, they can get stuck.

Er, uh. let's say hypothetically you DID switch them and used them in the wrong spot. Like when you take off the posts to clean, santize, and lube them then lose track. And let's say the liquid disconnect is stuck onto the gas post. How would one go about get this thing off of the post?

Strictly hypothetical, of course :eek:

Er, uh. let's say hypothetically you DID switch them and used them in the wrong spot. Like when you take off the posts to clean, santize, and lube them then lose track. And let's say the liquid disconnect is stuck onto the gas post. How would one go about get this thing off of the post?

Strictly hypothetical, of course :eek:

Pull up on the release and yank REAL HARD. Hypothetically speaking of course.

That don't work then maybe small explosives. :D

Back