Brew mix out of date?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDCaesar

Reaction score
Greetings,

I started my first brew yesterday using the Beer Machine kit I received as a gift.

I found that all of foil packs containing the brew mixes were hard as rocks. The packages appear to be intact with no tears or rips that I could see. Is this a common situation and can the mix still be used? Also would appreciate some advice as to how to break up the chunks back into a powder form.

Mike

I don't have any experience with those kits, but the first thing I would do is return it for one that wasn't expired if at all possible. If that can't be done, then I'd imagine that you could grind up the "beer mix" (I assume this is Dry malt extract?) and dissolve it thoroughly in boiling water before use. The products may not be as good as possible, but the beer will probably be drinkable in the end.

I just checked out their website, and that's a pretty cool looking toy! The one thing that jumped right out at me was that your beer will probably be a lot better if you let it age for a month or so before serving, not the 7 - 10 days that the website advertises.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I cannot return the kit so it's either use the mix that came with it (four packs) or toss it and buy some new stuff.

I thought about boiling it down to a soup like consistency before using it - but was wondering if high heat would affect the mix's properties.

What is the mix? Is the mix all that you are supposed to use? Is this a no boil set up?

Without knowing the above, I would guess that you are supposed to add the mix to some water. If this is the case, you would do very little harm to add the mixes to the water and boil for ten to fifteen minutes, cool to room temp, and then add the yeast as suggested. This will serve to get the mixes into solution and to sanitize it at the same time, which is probably not that important if everything is sealed, but it won't hurt anything. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I cannot return the kit so it's either use the mix that came with it (four packs) or toss it and buy some new stuff.

I thought about boiling it down to a soup like consistency before using it - but was wondering if high heat would affect the mix's properties.

Call the manufacturer and tell them your story, maybe they'll send you some fresh ingredients!!!

:mug:

ha, i was just thinking that perhaps you got a "re-gift" lmao!!!

unless the mix is very different from what most of us know as standard ingredients, heat will not harm it at all. brewing normally involves a full boil for an hour or more. I'd boil it with the recommended amount of water you'll be adding (or as much as your biggest pot can reasonably hold) and let it cool before adding it to your machine. don't add the yeast until it's room temp (below 80°). you'll probably be improving the beer compared not not boiling it - there are a lot of changes that happen during the boil.

Just pound it into small chunks and stir a lot. Dry Malt Extract can setup, but that doesn't hurt it. I'd be more concerned about the yeast.

Back