Blichmann beer gun help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikko

Reaction score
I just got my gun and im having problems minimizing foam i get about 3 seconds of foam spilling over before the bottle is full is this normal? i have put the pressure on the co2 tank to 3 psi my bottles are very cold. My pressure is so slow that i can only fill 3 bottles then i have to wait for the pressure to build up so that the beer starts coming out usually about 5 min before i can fill my next 3 what am i doing wrong???

thanks.

I release all the pressure on the keg first and then set the pressure to 2-4 lbs. Never really have any issues this way. If it is not foaming at all I bump it up so the bottles fill faster.

The biggest complaint I hear from the BG is that of the foaming issure. The only thing I have heard that will help is two things.

1. freeze your bottles,hose and gun. CO2 comes out of solution slower in cold environment.

2. extend the hose from your keg to the BG. I have heard that if you are around 5ft from Keg to gun it reduce the resistance and keeps more CO2 in solution.

HTH

John

I have tried freezing the bottles but found I do not need to. I don't really have any problems as long as I depressurize first. I usually bottle a couple mixed cases with 6 to 8 different brews in less than a hour including clean up.

The real trick for me was using wet bottles.

Cold and warm doesn't seem to make a difference. But if I sanitize ahead of time and let the bottles dry I get crazy foam issues. If I sanitize just before I fill I get next to no foam.

dannypo said:
The real trick for me was using wet bottles.

Cold and warm doesn't seem to make a difference. But if I sanitize ahead of time and let the bottles dry I get crazy foam issues. If I sanitize just before I fill I get next to no foam.

Never thought about that, but I sanitize a bottle and leave it sit on the Vinator while I am filling the one i sanitized before it, so they only get maybe 30 seconds to drain before I am filling them.

for some reason the last few bottles and my keg emptied filled up nice no foam over so im confused. im using the 10ft beer hose that comes with the blichman gun.

I bottle with a shallow extra large tupper-ware (sp?) under my bottle filling station. After I have bottled a case, I normally have a beer of spillage and foam over to enjoy as a reward!

Mine works fine, ~5psi, cold bottles, cold keg

I find it works better also with no rest time between bottles. If you can enlist a friend to help cap for you, just keep filling them as fast as you can. I found this drastically reduced the foam build-up in the line itself, and therefore in the bottle.

I have given up on my beer gun in favor of the BMBF because of the same issue you are having. In all honesty though, I think my biggest problem was overcarbonation. (I was an idiot ans let the salesman talk me into a "better" regulator for the same price and now I just have a high pressure reg trying to guestimate the lower pressures.)
Do you have the same problems when filling a glass off the tap? It is easy to over carb when force carbonating. Here is a chart for CO2 volumes that you should have around. There are more comprehensive guides to getting it right and having a balance system around.

yea it is carbonation i just got a email back from John Blichmann about my issue and he says that he hears about this issue only happening to people who over carb. i had mine at 20psi for 7 days in the 50deg range. He says that i shouldn't go over 13psi and always have it in the same temp i want to serve it so i guess i have to wait to get a keggerator now hehehe.

Latest posts

Back