weizen temp question? 57degrees for weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearguy

Reaction score
I just checked the temp on my citrus weizen in primary and it was a chilly 57-59 degrees. I have it in the basement, and it really is the only place for it( kids and construction) what can I expect as far as off flavors? i used 6lbs light wheat DME, zest from 3 oranges and 3 lemons, .75 oz vanguard 5-6% and Nottingham yeast. I pitched at 67 degrees and have slow but consistent bubbles at 36 hrs.

i don't know about nottingham in particular, but in general your fementation process may take a bit longer. if it gets too cold it could stop, but if you keep an eye on it (the airlock continues to bubble and you sg continues to drop) there shouldn't be a problem at those temps. also, it should ferment cleaner, with less phenols.

here's some info i just pulled up that may help:

"The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculent (precipitating) and relatively full attenuation (transforming sugar into alcohol) properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity (estery) aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt to develop. Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14°C (57°F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Recommended 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) fermentation temperature range."

First of all, it is not a weizen, not even close.

Secondly, it is going to be a slow fermentation at that temp, but you shouldn't get much as far as residual flavors from the yeast.

cubbies said:

Secondly, it is going to be a slow fermentation at that temp, but you shouldn't get much as far as residual flavors from the yeast.
Why what was done wrong. I say help a bro out if hes "not even close" :tank:

Cant really make a weizen with Nottingham.

I didn't mean to imply that he did anything "wrong" he just didn't make a weizen. A wheat beer? Sure. Could probably even be classified as an American Wheat. And, it will probably be plenty tasty. However, a weizen it is not.

I didn't offer any advice on how to make it a weizen because the yeast has already been pitched and it is fermenting away. To make a proper weizen, one should use weizen yeast and ferment at least in the mid 60's.

cubbies said:
Cant really make a weizen with Nottingham.

I didn't mean to imply that he did anything "wrong" he just didn't make a weizen. A wheat beer? Sure. Could probably even be classified as an American Wheat. And, it will probably be plenty tasty. However, a weizen it is not.

I didn't offer any advice on how to make it a weizen because the yeast has already been pitched and it is fermenting away. To make a proper weizen, one should use weizen yeast and ferment at least in the mid 60's.

E to the A to the Ceee in the hizzeeeee! :tank:

yeah you EAC'd all over that, but your right so I see no problem with it.

67coupe390 said:
Not to tell the meaning is all part of the meaning of EAC if you need to know then I'd say do a search.

Already did that:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : EAC

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
I'll ro-sham-bo you for it...
how do you do that online?

tmoney,
ah hey WTF you don't post links to the meaning of EAC! Even thought that thread doesn't explain anything behind it.

z987k said:

tmoney,
ah hey WTF you don't post links to the meaning of EAC! Even thought that thread doesn't explain anything behind it.

hurts me...

Yeah I found that link from tmoney1224 with a Google search and get the gist of it...but I like EdWorts reply better.

Last edited by a moderator:
z987k said:

tmoney,

I'm a noob, I don't know any better :D

As for the temp, these guys covered it. Otherwise:

Wish I would have caught you brewing the citrus weizen sooner...

I used the zest from 3 lemons and 3 oranges to brew an American Wheat a few months back. Still hasn't mellowed out much and its not one of my favorites (sorry to be the bearer of bad news!)... It has a strange aroma (from the lemon) I think. Taste isn't so bad - it's drinkable, but I'd cut back on the lemon next time I do it and I'd use a more complex yeast I think.

It may fit your palette better than mine, so who knows. In general I'm not a huge fan of American Style Wheat unless they do something cool with it [gumballhead with amarillo hops, some fruiting, etc.] - just too bland for me generally speaking. Or I may have done something wrong (got too much white pith or something when I skinned my lemons). I don't know. All I know is I crack one every week or so, but its slow drinking for a low ABV wheat...

cubbies said:

Does thinking the same thing but not saying it make me EAC :confused:

To answer the question, I think it should be fine. See what it taste like, and make any changes to the next batch....not like you can make major changes now anyhow. - Dirk

it's all in good fun though...

and KentuckyBrewer, keep searching, there's a much better thread......

hell no..........
that's part of it, you have to find it.

ok I'll be nice... here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEH yeah....I ain't fallin' for any more links this week:drunk: . If I get rick rolled 1 more time I'm gonna start drinkin'....wait

I'm about 95% sure I figured out EAC :rockin: The other thread I found and it looks like I need to join HBT...guess I better get off the free boat.

haha, damn you didn't fall for the rick roll. I thought i was being clever enough.... damn.

yeah I think they did move the thread to the members only a while back... guess I need to go find it again.

Back on topic.... Nottingham will work down to 14C (no I ain't going to convert into American). :p It will be exceptionally clean at that temp and will still ferment relatively quick.

It will be a Wheat beer as said above not a weizen. If you can't find a liquid weizen yeast then next time try windsor or the new safale wheat yeast and ferment warmer, they will at least impart some weizen like flavors but still not the same.

Should be a tasty beer none the less. :)

Back