Horrible plastic smell - new beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
I ordered 60' of 3/16" beer line from More Beer! for a new keezer build I'm doing. Totally new to kegging (and brewing for that matter). Well it came in and the smell is so bad of plastic that just being around it has given me a horrible headache! Did several searches and notice some people have experienced this in the past but called them defective batches of tubing.

Is this normal for tubing? Should I assume tubing is "defective"?
I definitely don't want my first keg tasting as bad as this stuff smells!

Anything that stinks that bad can't be good for your dispensing system. I'd send it back, period.

If you're thinking about going the Bev Seal Ultra 235 route, read up about how to get it over barbs before you commit. It's pretty stiff stuff and can be a pita to work with.

An alternative is Bevlex 200. No scent at all, barrier lined but quite flexible even when very cold, a piece of cake to attach to fittings, and considerably cheaper to boot...

Cheers!

Anything that stinks that bad can't be good for your dispensing system. I'd send it back, period.

If you're thinking about going the Bev Seal Ultra 235 route, read up about how to get it over barbs before you commit. It's pretty stiff stuff and can be a pita to work with.

An alternative is Bevlex 200. No scent at all, barrier lined but quite flexible even when very cold, a piece of cake to attach to fittings, and considerably cheaper to boot...

Cheers!

I would have to agree with day_trippr on the stiffness of the 235. I was a plumber in a previous life and I struggled with getting it over the barbs. I think most of the problem is because the swivel barbs have to be held in your hand while your pushing the warmed tubing on. The Faucet barbs were easy because you could just sit them on the table and push the tubing on. I can say there is no smell or taste to the tubing.

I'd vote for bev seal ultra. When putting the barbs on, hold the tubing in one hand and push on the barb with a Philips head screwdriver in the other hand. That makes it a little easier to apply pressure. It isn't easy, but you don't have to make many connections.

Or you use John Guest fittings

image-2405726733.jpg

Or you use John Guest fittings

View attachment 147057

Beaks, what does the other end look like. Having kept a 120 gallon reef tank for years and just finished installing a new RO system w/20g storage tank I'm no stranger to John Guest fittings, however my shanks have built in barbs and want to know how to overcome that end of the connection before I commit to that beverage line. Thanks.

No nipple this screws right to the shank

image-81983584.jpg

Might fit over the nipple or just heat up the shank (we set the shanks in super hot water and pushed the nipple right into the line was easier then heating the line and pushing onto a cold nipple)

image-2047759259.jpg

day_trippr said:

Cheers!

I'm going to call tomorrow for an RMA.

I've ordered 100' of the ultra based on the link in this thread (thanks to who linked it) I'll pick up a heat gun from Lowe's this week for help with the fittings. I'll have to research lengths for 37° keezer for ales, wheat and IPA's. one less thing to worry about!

Unfortunately the line lengths are all over the place for the bev seal! I run 20' per tap in a 40 deg keezer. I've gone up to 14 PSI so far with no problem.

Roadie said:
I'm going to call tomorrow for an RMA.

I've ordered 100' of the ultra based on the link in this thread (thanks to who linked it) I'll pick up a heat gun from Lowe's this week for help with the fittings. I'll have to research lengths for 37° keezer for ales, wheat and IPA's. one less thing to worry about!

Depends on the highest carb levels you plan on using. At that temp 12' per line should be enough for most carb levels though.

From everything I've read over the last couple of years, I'd be a bit more conservative using Bev Seal Ultra Series 235 lines versus pretty much everything else, and go at least 50% longer to handle the same pressure....

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back