Thoughts on this session recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand melanoid malt, it is a malty profile booster for Germanic styles like Marzens, etc. that can easily be overbearing, especially in light bodied beers. I would be cautious, though I have no experience with it. Also,. IMO, your late and "hefty" hop schedule seems mildly aggressive for a session beer. However, you are the ultimate judge, so if you want to ramp up your malt and hop profiles and you still consider it sessionable, it seems reasonable to me. I see you are using up ingredients, so why not? You will likely make good beer.

woknblues said:
As I understand melanoid malt, it is a malty profile booster for Germanic styles like Marzens, etc. that can easily be overbearing, especially in light bodied beers. I would be cautious, though I have no experience with it. Also,. IMO, your late and "hefty" hop schedule seems mildly aggressive for a session beer. However, you are the ultimate judge, so if you want to ramp up your malt and hop profiles and you still consider it sessionable, it seems reasonable to me. I see you are using up ingredients, so why not? You will likely make good beer.

I'd use Munich if I had it but don't. Guess ill find out if 3% Melanoid is too much. My ibu's are at 46 so I didn't think that was too aggressive, most are late anyway. I was wondering if I should make the 20 minute hops FWH instead. Would I lose flavor by doing that? This is session beer for IPA guys too so I think hop amounts won't be an issue. Thanks for the input.

Looks pretty great to me. Should be a good hop bursted session pale ale. I don't think 3% melanoidin is going to be an issue at all. Should be similar to adding a pound of Munich which is a good idea in my opinion. I wouldn't move the 20 minute additions to FWH. You will lose flavor and add a lot of bitterness. In my experience FWH additions just end up being 70 minute additions.

peterj said:
Looks pretty great to me. Should be a good hop bursted session pale ale. I don't think 3% melanoidin is going to be an issue at all. Should be similar to adding a pound of Munich which is a good idea in my opinion. I wouldn't move the 20 minute additions to FWH. You will lose flavor and add a lot of bitterness. In my experience FWH additions just end up being 70 minute additions.

Damn, you really think Melanoid is about 4x stronger than Munich?

It's definitely stronger. I don't know if it's exactly 4x stronger, but I know it definitely has more melanoidins in it than Munich. It also has different types of melanoidins than Munich does so it wouldn't be an exact taste comparison either. I'm talking about light Munich here though. For dark Munich I would say you would need twice or maybe less the amount to be similar to melanoidin malt. But again, not gonna be exactly the same taste-wise.

peterj said:
It's definitely stronger. I don't know if it's exactly 4x stronger, but I know it definitely has more melanoidins in it than Munich. It also has different types of melanoidins than Munich does so it wouldn't be an exact taste comparison either. I'm talking about light Munich here though. For dark Munich I would say you would need twice or maybe less the amount to be similar to melanoidin malt. But again, not gonna be exactly the same taste-wise.

I'm gonna go with it, SRM is only around 6 so it's not too dark for a light beer. Nothing wrong with some malt in a lighter beer either. Wondering if the Honey malt should be scrapped since the Melanoid has a strong presence. I have Carapils, C60 and Victory to play with also but I'm pretty comfy with how this looks now.

Missed mash temp a bit, closer to 151/150, gravity was 1.048. Pit he'd one pack of Notty around 66, report back in a couple weeks.

Drinking now, been in the keg a week. Got this down to 1.010 with a pack of Notty, primary around two weeks. Racked to secondary for two weeks on 3oz of Mosaic. I gotta say this is very similar to Founders All Day.

image-651947589.jpg

Back