NG burner for brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
I am planning on having a single tier brew stand built soon. I want to run this on natural gas and want a suggestion on what burner would be best. I will need one for HLT and one for the boil kettle. I am using a cooler for a mash tun so I will be installing heat shields. Would this burner on Amazon work well?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042QKY9A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not recommend that burner.

These burners are great when you have the valve wide open, but for low heat they can burn dirty yellow, with soot.

There are a few threads on here on these type of burners.

NG is a low pressure gas, and for a normal house you do not have the pressure to run that burner correctly. It will burn dirty yellow, cool, and put soot all over your kettles. What people end up doing is plugging 13 of the 23 jets in that model, and then they work correctly. Also it is important that you pick the right pattern of jets to keep.

Bobby_M has the best video and instruction on this.

I went the same route as you are going, more must be better, so I bought the 32 jet version. Now I have that down to just 6 jets, and that is producing the best results for high heat and low heat (rolling boil).

I just ordered three of these.
10 Jet Natural Gas Jet Burner

Dont think that these type of burners are bad, a lot of people use them, and I will continue to use them. They are the easiest to mount, just connect them to your 1/2 black pipe, and add a standard NG gas valve, no regulator needed.
Here is a great picture of the 10 jets in action.

This is what my current burner can do:
70 degrees to 150 degrees in 15 minutes
150 degrees to rolling boil in 30 minutes.

I have 3 of theese I drilled the orifice that came with them to 1/8" and they work great.
1/8'' worked for me but you pressure may be different. Do your homework and
be safe working with gas.

I have the 20 tip NG jet burners like you have asked about. I love mine. One of the keys for me was making the tip of burner to the bottom of kettle about 15". One of my friends owns an HVAC co and he told me to drill the jets with a 15ga drill bit. I get no black soot or any yellow flame. The distance allows to have the ball valve a bit more open, as they do need the flow to pull in enough O2 into the mix. I do up to 20 gal batches and can bring 15 gallons to boil in about 45 minutes. I too use a cooler MT and I use a 3 tier. Wish I had a 2 tier to drop the HLT. The heat wash from the burners can be a bit much, my design issue.

I have 3 of theese I drilled the orifice that came with them to 1/8" and they work great.
1/8'' worked for me but you pressure may be different. Do your homework and
be safe working with gas.

I second these.
You can see some videos of me testing them in my signature.

I'd prefer the banjo style burners to the jet style burners, especially if you want to run with the gas throttled back.

I bought 3 low pressure banjo burners with NG jets for my build. I'm controlling them with gas valves from a furnace.

Back